•c h a p t e r 08•

I was definitely taken back when Scissors asked if I was holding her for ransom

I was definitely taken back when Scissors asked if I was holding her for ransom. When I left her house last night to call Nick, he ran an extensive background check on her and Blondy; the kind of check that even the police can't get ahold of. Nothing suggested that she is important to someone of power or has any wealthy relatives. Actually, she doesn't have any family at all.

"What it do, baby beau!" Nick answers.

"You disgust me." I groan. Why can't Nate ever answer the phone first?

"Mom?"

"Nick!" I bark at him.

"Oh, hey man. You really need to announce yourself. Do you know how many people start conversations with me that way?" He admits and I honestly believe it.

"You missed something."

"Yeah but she's not pregnant so it's all good." Nick snickers cheekily. I hate it when he's in one of his moods.

"NICK! You must have missed something when you ran that check on Constance." I pull my hand down my face in frustration. "She thinks the guys that trashed her place were there for her."

"Impossible. I ran her through everything. She's clean but not squeaky. A couple of parking tickets, one public indecency and a few over due credit card payments. An orphan who slipped through the cracks and lived on the streets until she was seventeen. No drug or gang affiliation and her one friend, Michael Gode, is clean too." Nick replies as he types away at his keyboard.

"Dig again." I speak lower so Scissors can't hear in case she's spying. "And look for any connections between her and someone named Eli."

"Can't you just ask her yourself and save my fingers the trouble? I'm sure you can make her talk." He offers.

I growl in response.

"Fine. You probably don't have it in you anymore any ways." He mumbles something to someone and sighs loudly in my ear. "Hey, Nate wants to have a word."

When I say nothing he ends with, "Talk to ya later, hot stuff." I swear he gets on every nerve I have and then some. I've killed men for less than just being irritating and every time I talk to him I get the urge to shoot him.

The phone is silent for a long time before Nate picks up. "We need to talk about you ur next move."

"Okay but first I need a favor."

"Name it." His words are short and to the point, that's why he's my favorite twin.

"Can you tell me the condition of Constance's neighbor?" I ask more for myself than for Scissors. I don't need anymore innocent lives on my hands because of this stupid setup.

"Yeah, hold on a sec." There is clicking sounds from typing coming through the speaker.

While he's doing his thing I look around at the old bunker. It's a bomb shelter that the twins found while searching for a temporary safe house. It's isolated and inconspicuous but is only supposed to hold one person. The plan was for this to be a one time stop to rest for the three of us which turned into the two of us.