•c h a p t e r 47•

"That's what you have?" He asks dumbfounded after I tell him my elaborate plan

I blow the smoke off of my finger gun and then put it in my belt loop pretending it's normal to act like this. I'm not exactly a pro at breaking people out of an armed gangster building. "Well, yeah. Isn't that how you gang guys do these things? Burst in the front door and shoot everything that moves?"

He laughs at me and shakes his head. "Why don't you go get some rest. Once I talk with some people I'll know more about our attack."

"Fine but I'm going in with you." I cross my arms. I'd kill again if it meant seeing Luca and I may regret taking the life but I could never regret saving the man I love.

"Sammy I can't let you go with us. If you die-" He looks about ready to kiss me again so I take a step back.

"It's not optional."

Eli smiles at me knowingly. Even if he tied me to the tank, I'd somehow still manage to save Luca. No force on Earth can stop me.

"I'll be in contact." He says and I don't question how he knows to get ahold of me. He's just always known. "Let me walk you out so no unintended accidents happen."

We walk the same direction we came in just an hour ago and the strange looks just keep on coming. I do believe that had Eli let me walk on my own, I would have gotten shot. These men were terrifying without scowls and guns but with them they make me want to fall to the floor and confess all my dirty deeds.

The tank comes into view with men surrounding it. Eli dismissed them and gives me a hand as I climb up the wheels. I'm not exactly thrilled to see Michael again but it's better than being scrutinized by the armed thugs.

"Sam." He calls to me before I open the hatch. "Not a day goes by that I don't think about him."

I don't need to tell Eli that I do too or that the pain still stabs me a thousand times when I think of Noah. I simply nod at him and then climb into the hull of the tank.

"You were in there forever!" Michael tackles me in a sweaty hug that I don't return.

I push him off of me and start up the tank. He seems dejected as he slowly sits down but understanding is written all over his face. He knows that I know. This would be a perfect time to ask him every question I have with him completely stuck with me but I'm also stuck. What if he tells me something I can't take? But what if he leaves after I stop? Then I'd have zero answers and I need answers.

"Connie. . ." He starts and ends.

Even more silence fills the already cramped space and the tension is thicker than that fat girl that sings at the opera. I promise myself that I will be strong now and cry later.

"Tell me about your life Michael, if that's even your name." I keep looking forward as I navigate out of the Kali gang's lot.

"I- I don't know where to start." I see him run his hands through his hair through my peripheral vision. "My name is Michael Monroe, not Gode, and I was born in Kentucky where my family still lives. I joined the army and served two tours but got hurt and sent home with all the other soldiers. I had no job for two years before I started taking odd jobs for rich people."