•c h a p t e r 32•

I wake up to the sun seeping through the curtains hanging over the open window

I wake up to the sun seeping through the curtains hanging over the open window. A slight breeze sends a chill through the room. I roll over slightly to the human heater but he is gone and his spot is cold.

I don't remember crawling under the covers or even falling asleep.

What I do remember are rough hands turning soft on my skin. Moans replacing words as the only sound in the room. Fingers touching all my intimate places; lips trailing not far behind them. And dark eyes looking into mine, doing what no man ever had- asking my permission.

We spent half of the night wrapped up in each other's arms, making love or whispering promises that neither of us could keep.

My heart falls a little seeing how entirely empty the room is but I knew it would be.

Our adventure is over now that Luca has what he needs to clear his name. He never needed to solve the case, just prove his innocence and now he can. Once the twins make the information public, he can go back to his life and I. . I will go back to mine.

But how can I live knowing that these few weeks have been more than just a dream but were real? How can I pretend that I don't know how it feels to be with a man, to be with Luca? My life can never truly be the same.

I want to pity myself. I want to hide away so that I don't have to face myself.

Maybe I should have told him that I wanted him before he took my clothes off. Or maybe I shouldn't have fallen for him knowing he couldn't fall for me.

Before we fell asleep, I asked him what would happen next and instead of answering, he kissed my temple and told me not to think about tomorrow.

Well tomorrow is here and now that I'm alone in a cold bed full of memories, I can't help but feel broken.

I get up and start to clean the mess we made last night. My dress was torn because he was too impatient to unzip me. His shirt only has the top two buttons, the rest are scattered across the floor for the same reason.

Overall the room is an expression of how I feel internally. Real messed up.

I slide my underwear on and rummage through his duffle bag laying in the corner for a shirt. When I find one, I manage to just look at it and not actually put it on. Even from a distance, it smells like him.

"Hey." Luca says startling me.

I jump slightly, not ready for him to see me.. or maybe I'm the one who's afraid to see him.

Quickly I pull the shirt over my body and busy myself picking things up again.

Glancing at him from the corner of my eye, I see he's been in the shower. He's standing in the doorway with a towel wrapped around his waist. Water falls down his skin and it reminds me of when I walked in his shower. It was just a month ago but it feels like years have passed.