•c h a p t e r 13•

"Remind me to toss out all of the poptarts tonight

"Remind me to toss out all of the poptarts tonight." I say somewhat seriously.

I have so many things I need to do like video conference the twins and make preparations for when we leave but I can't find the strength to get up. I'm not too tired or lazy and even though these chairs are comfortable, I'm not attached to them. I just like her company and for a loner like me, that says a lot.

"Is that a smile?" She bits her lip and pokes my cheek playfully.

"I don't do smiles."

I let my face take up it's usual hardened expression. I might have trusted her with information about our situation but that didn't mean anything had changed. There could never be anything between us and from my point of view, its mostly one sided anyways.

My side.

"Must have been a figment of my imagination then because I'm sure I saw your mouth do an upside down frown." She say while wiggling her eyebrows.

I don't reply. I have nothing else to say to her that doesn't involve lewd suggestions so I decide its best to keep my trap shut.

We settle into a comfortable quiet. Her face is doing strange things, making expressions as if she is having a conversation that only she is invited to. Scissors had a lot of information dumped on her so no doubt she is sorting things out and when she does she might just up and leave. I wouldn't blame her one bit either.

"You didn't answer my question."

She seems to have her invisible thinking cap on because her nose is all scrunched up like it is every time she's in deep thought. Again I don't answer her. I know if I just look at her she will eventually continue.

Three

Two

"So do you have a plan or not?"

"For now, this," I gesture to the entire building, "is our plan."

"That's a stupid plan."

"I agree." With zero leads and a big fat dead end, we have no place to go. "I'll be calling the twins later if you want to sit in on it you can."

"Really!?"

I nod.

I have told her everything she needed to know and now it's her turn. I had hoped she would just offer it without me prying but obviously not. I hate asking but again, neither twin has found anything on her.

"Care to tell me about Eli?"

"Nope."

"No?"

"Yes."