Part VIII

"Yeah? You need somethin?" Ponyboy asks. I shake my head.

"N-no. I just have a question." I say quietly. Pony nods and sits beside me.

"What is it?" He asks.

I look back in the kitchen to see Johnny eating with his head down. He looked sad.

"W-what happened to Johnny?" I asked. I'm not sure why I was so concerned with him. I don't even know him.

"Johnny's a nervous wreck. Always has been. But he took a bad beating from some Socs a few months back."

"Is that how he got the scar on his face?" Pony nods slowly.

"Yeah. The guy wore a few rings. His dad is an ass too. Always getting drunk and hitting on him while his Mom does nothing." Pony explains.

I look back at Johnny. I felt bad for him. Guess we're similar.

"Oh." Was the only thing I said. Pony nodded and got up and made his way back to the kitchen.

Poor Johnny.

I ate my food slowly and everyone got done before me.

Steve left to get back home and Johnny said he was going to some places called 'the lot.' I didn't question what he meant knowing he probably wouldn't answer anyways.

The three brothers were getting ready for bed and Dally still didn't show.

Darry walked through the living room picking up empty beer bottles Two Bit left around.

"U-uh Darry?" I ask quietly. He looks over to me quickly.

"Yeah?" He asks.

"W-where's Dally?" I question. Darry sighs.

"I don't know. He'll be here soon I imagine. If he ain't your welcome to stay the night." I nod slowly.

I'm not sure I'd like sleeping here. So far Dally is the only one who I feel comfortable falling asleep around.

Hours passed and it was dark out. The brothers had long been in bed. I stayed awake staring at the ceiling.

I heard a creak on the boards outside and I jumped slightly feeling my heart rate going up.

I heard footsteps coming slowly up the steps and the screen door creaked open. My breathing shortened and my chest hurt.

I covered myself with the blanket. As if it would help against intruders.

The front door opens quietly and I slowly take the blanket off my head just enough to see a shadow.

The shadow crept towards the couch and I gulped quietly. I felt the couch dip slightly under the intruders hand as he felt around.

Suddenly they touched my leg and I shrieked. The person pulled back quickly cursing under their breath. I heard a blade flick open and I froze.

Suddenly the light was turned on and I saw Darry standing shirtless in the entry way to the living room and Johnny was standing by the couch. Pale as a ghost with a switch blade flicked out.

He had his eyes shut tightly and he breathed quickly.

"What the hell is going on in here?" Darry asks trying to lower his voice because his brothers were sleeping.

"S-sorry Darry." I reply. Darry's eyes trail over to Johnny and he nods slowly.

"You Okay Johnnycake?" Johnny nods slowly and puts his blade up.

"Yeah, g-got cold in the lot so I came here." He says. Darry nods and goes back to his room.

Johnny was about to leave when I stopped him.

"Don't go. Sorry I scared ya." I said quietly. Johnny blushed slightly.

"Shoot you shouldn't be apologizing. I should. It was my fault. I thought Dally came and picked you up that's all." Johnny spoke softly.

I nod slowly.

"Why're you awake?" Johnny asks.

"I realized earlier I can't sleep unless I have Dally with me. I was never able to sleep back home either."

Johnny's nods slowly and stands awkwardly in the doorway.

"I don't feel safe unless I'm with him ya know?" Johnny nods slowly and I move my legs.

"You can sit." I tell him. He happily obliged and sat at the end of my feet.

"Thanks." He whispers.

I nod my head firmly and lay back down.

"If ya want, you can come up here and sleep. I won't be getting to sleep no time soon." I say making room beside me. The couch was large enough for two people to share.

"You sure?" Johnny asks. I nod my head and he crawls up and lays down.

He didn't say a word as he lay there facing away from me. I pulled the cover up so he was under it too. He must be freezing trying to sleep outside.

However Johnny was surprisingly warm when he was under the cover. I felt the warmth radiating off his back and I felt the urge to cuddle up into his back but refrained.

I heard Johnny snoring quietly. He was breathing slowly as well. He was asleep. That makes one of us.

A few minutes later the house was silent except for the light snores coming from Johnny. When all of a sudden he starts to turn over.

I blush slightly when he brought his hand and flung it over my side and snuggled his head into my neck.

Some reason I didn't feel trapped like I couldn't get out. Even though he was holding pretty tightly onto me. I felt all nice and stuff.

I rested my head on top of Johnny's. His hair smelled like dirt and cigarette smoke. But it was oddly comforting.

Johnny was pressed against my body holding me tightly. I liked it. He was comfortable and not to heavy. His light breathing tickled my neck and every once in a while he would mumble something in his sleep.

Somehow I managed to fall asleep in the arms of a stranger. Someone who wasn't related by blood. Someone who wasn't Dallas. Someone I didn't know since I was a kid.

Johnny Cade made me feel... protected.