Part IX

I woke up the next morning cold. I opened my eyes and saw Johnny was gone and the blanket was pushed to my thighs.

A delicious smell coming in from the kitchen. I sat up and saw Ponyboy cooking.

"M-morning." I said quietly. I wasn't even sure he could hear me but when he jumped slightly I realized he did.

He looks over.

"Hey Vixen. Just making some breakfast." He says motioning towards the pan on the stove. I nod slowly.

"Where is everyone else?" I ask. Mainly wondering where Johnny ran off too.

"Asleep. Johnny left shortly after I woke up." Pony says as if reading my mind. I blush slightly and nod.

"Oh." Was all I said. It got silent all of a sudden. Nothing but the sound of popping could be heard from the kitchen.

"S-so any word from Dally?" I ask. Pony shakes his head no and I sigh. Figures.

I make my way to Oklahoma from New York just to be abandoned by the only family I had.

"Any idea where h-he might be?" I ask. Pony shrugs and I stifle a groan. In my house that would have gotten me beat.

"Mind waken up Darry and Soda huh?" Pony asks. I nod slowly and get up. Groaning as I did so.

I haven't really moved from the couch since yesterday. My bones are a little stiff.

I made my way down the short hall way and stop at a door. I opened it and it was a master bedroom. A lump was under the covers and I presumed it was one of their rooms.

I walked over slowly careful not to make any noise. My breath quickened. I didn't really like waking people up. They tend to get angry. Especially my dad.

My breath caught in my throat at the thought of my dad. The way he beat me when I accidentally dropped a bowl and woke him up one morning.

I still remember the fire that seemed to blaze in his eyes. His cold stare looking directly into my scared little eyes as he choked me.

Eventually he let me go of course. But he almost killed me that day.

I decided I couldn't wake Darry up for fear the same thing would happen so I scampered out as quietly as my legs would let me.

But of course I had to knock over something. I shrieked slightly as the object hit the floor and shattered. Darry bolted up and I stood there scared out of my mind.

Suddenly Pony and Soda were at my side. Soda looked tired and shaken up.

"What happened?" Pony asks. Darry gets up and wipes his tired eyes. Examining the glass on the floor.

He looked up at me and stood up. He started walking my way and I screamed and attempted to run but I was held back.

Pony and Soda were holding onto me tightly as I screamed and tried to get away.

"Whoa Whoa! Calm down Vixen. It's alright. That vase was dumb anyways." Darry says trying to calm me down.

Pony and Soda pat my back reassuringly until I calmed down enough for them to let me go.

I stood in front of them with my head down. Ready to face any punishment they had for me.

"You Alright Vixen?" Darry asks squatting down to me. I shake my head no and let a single tear slip from my eye.

"No. J-just get it over with Alright? I didn't mean to." I say hoarsely. My throat felt tight and I was on the verge of bawling.

"What on earth are you talking abo-" Darry was cut off by someone slamming the front door.

"Who left this food on the stove! That ain't very safe!" It was Two Bit. We all made our way to the living room to see Two Bit raiding the ice box for a beer.

He found one and turned to look at us.

"Y'all alright? Look mighty shaken up this morning."

"Yeah. Vixen got spooked is all." Darry says looking down at me. I look to the floor. Why aren't they hitting me? I broke something of theirs AND woke them up.

Darry let me go sit on the couch while he swept up the broken glass in his room. Pony and Soda finished breakfast.

Pony brought me a plate and they all sat at the table. Steve and Johnny joined shortly after everyone had made a plate.

Johnny gave me a few short glances but went back to looking at the floor.

The two boys went to the kitchen and sat down. Then hushed whispers filled my ears.

They were talking about my freak out. How embarrassing. I kept my head down though and continued eating. Occasionally I could feel someone stare at me.

Probably thinking, 'this chick is crazy. Why the hell is she here?'

When breakfast was over Pony came and took my plate back to the kitchen. Two Bit sat beside me and Soda, Steve and Darry went off to work.

"You Alright kid? I heard about earlier." He takes a swig if beer.

"Yeah. I'm alright." I told him. I kept looking down at my hands to avoid their gazes.

"A-anyone got a cigarette?" I asked. Suddenly there was a cigarette being placed under my nose and a lighter.

I thanked whoever it was that gave it to me and made my way to the front porch. It's rude to smoke in other people's houses.

I quickly lit it and took a drag. Feeling myself calming down. I heard the door shut and the screen door with it and someone was by my side.

I didn't bother to look. I had a feeling I knew who it was.

"Darry told us what happened. You good?" Johnny asks. I nod slowly keeping my eyes straight ahead.

"Why'd you do it? Clearly there's somethin you ain't tellin us and I think it has somethin to do with the story behind them scars." I looked over and met Johnny's gaze.

His eyes were big and thoughtful. He looked sorry.

And for some reason. He made me want to open up.