Part XXI

How. Was the only question I have.

How did my dad know I was here of all places. How did he get here. How did he find out where I went.

I sat on my bed froze. Johnny was standing by the bed absolutely petrified.

He was pale and shaking. My dad pointed a shaky finger at me.

"Come." Was all he said. I slowly got up from the bed and shakily made my way over to him. Johnny raised his head slowly.

I watched hurt flash through his eyes.

My dad grabbed my arm when I was close enough and I shrieked in pain. That happened to be where a soc nearly tore my arm off a week ago.

He yanked me towards him and started hitting me. I shrieked and Johnny stood there. Tears falling from his eyes.

I didn't expect him to help. I didn't want him to help. I knew he wasn't going to try too. Even I'd leave me. Anything is better than getting in the way of what the old man wants.

When he was done I was cowering beside him. He yanks me out the door.

I notice some of the gang on the ground clutching the sides of their faces. They all looked at me sadly.

"Who the hell are you!" Steve steps up.

"Her dad." Their eyes widen and they finally saw what had caused my bruises.

"You can't come in here and take her!" Darry defended.

"Like fuck I can't. You don't tell me what I can and can't do. Right now I'm gonna take my daughter back home to New York."

"Why? To hit her some more? That's the only reason. You missed your 'play' thing. It's obvious out don't fucking care about her!" I looked back. It was Johnny. He stood there with a switch blade in hand.

The gang looked at him mesmerized. Johnny didn't usually raise his voice at anyone. We were all surprised.

"How dare you. She is my daughter!"

"Who you kicked out of the house. She had to ride with a stranger to get here. Because you are a self centered son of a bitch who obviously does not appreciate what a great daughter you have."

"I don't know who the hell you are but you can't stand there and tell me what I did. She is nothing but a bitch who thinks of nobody but herself."

Dad started yanking me out the door and pulling me towards a truck I didn't recognize. Clearly borrowed or stolen.

"Let her go!" Johnny yells.

"No kid. I'm takin her home."

"I-I killed a guy you know. It was in the paper a few months back." Johnny says. I look at him surprised.

Johnny didn't seem the type to be capable of killing someone. The gang was at the door.

"I don't give a shit who you killed. I killed my damn wife years ago. Don't think I won't hesitate to kill my daughters boyfriend."

I felt tears prick my eyes. I hated how much he praised himself for that.

Johnny's face soften briefly. He darted his eyes over to me and looked at me pitifully.

"You bastard." Johnny whispers. Suddenly he raises his arm and throws the open blade in his hand.

My dad smirks and moves me in front of him so the blade goes in my stomach. He smiles proudly then gets in the truck and speeds off.

I sink to my knees and look at the blade. Blood was trickling down my white shirt and I gasped.

"No." Johnny breathed. I heard running and someone screaming for an ambulance.

I brought my hands to my stomach and watched them instantly get coated in crimson color.

"What did I do what did I do." Johnny whispers beside me. He grabs me gently and leans me on his legs. I lay back slowly. Painfully.

"Nice... aim." I choke out. Johnny gives a light chuckle but his eyes were full of sorrow.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered.

"It's alright... I've been... cut up... worse." I flinched.

"Don't talk Alright."

"Did you really kill a... soc?" I asked slowly.

"Yeah. Yeah I did. They were drowning Pony. They were gonna come after me next."

"Self defense." I whisper. Johnny nods.

"Quit talkin Alright." He says. I nod slowly. The gang was rushed by my side.

"Oh god. Are you alright?" Steve asks.

"Mmm. Besides the knife... in my stomach... and the hangover... I still have... I'm just fine."

"God. Don't worry. An ambulance is on the way kid." Darry says. I nod slowly. I take a look around. Pony was crying on Sodas shoulder.

Poor kid. We became somewhat best friends during my time here. And maybe I might not even make it.

Suddenly I hear a scream and the gate opening quickly.

"What the hell happened!" It was Dally. He crouched over me frantically trying to stop my bleeding.

"Your dad came by. Tried to take Vixen... Johnny threw the knife and he moved her in his way." Darry explained.

"God. Kid I'm so sorry. This is all my fault." Dally sobbed.

"H-how?" I questioned.

"If I acted more like a brother you wouldn't be like this. I was coming over to apologize about last night Vix."

"I'm sorry... Dally. I was wrong. You're nothing like dad."

"No kid. You were right. I'm trash. I don't deserve you." He kept putting pressure on my stomach and I jolted.

My brain was cloudy and my vision kept coming in and out of focus.

"Stay awake." Someone says. The voices all sounded distant.

"Come on stay awake Vixen. Don't go to sleep kid." Someone else says. I fight to keep my eyes open but it was too hard.

The last The I saw before I passed out was Johnny's crying face hovering over me.