Part X

I don't know what compelled me to. But just looking into Johnny's eyes made me want to tell him my story.

"It was my dad... who gave me the scars." I reply shakily. Johnny nods slowly.

"He would hit me for the stupidest shit. Waking him up was always the worst." I felt tears coming up and I cursed at myself.

"One day I dropped a bowl trying to fix myself something to eat and it broke, he woke up and nearly choked me to death." My breathing was shaky and Johnny just stared at me. Sympathy evident in his eyes.

"W-When Pony told me to go and wake up Darry I got that vision of my dad, choking me and I got scared." I was crying by this point.

"I turned to leave and knocked over a vase. I-I thought Darry was gonna beat me like my dad so I tried to run. Pony and Soda held me back. I thought they were all gonna get a hit."

I was full on sobbing by the end of this. Johnny just nodded slowly looking close to tears himself.

He pulled me in for a hug and I could tell it surprised him as much as it did me because he just froze.

"S-sorry to hear that. But Darry wouldn't hit you. No matter what. These fellas ain't them type of people. I should know."

"W-what do you mean?" I sniffed. I could hear his heart beat rapidly because I was so much smaller than him.

"My dad hits on me. There are times when I think someone from the gang is gonna hit me but they don't. They don't do that to people like us." Johnny whispers.

I wrap my arms around him slowly.

They don't do that to people like us.

Johnny released me and went back inside. A small blush evident on his face.

He told me he wouldn't tell no one if I wasn't comfortable with it and I thanked him.

He also apologized for grabbing me out of nowhere and huggin me but I forgave him.

It was actually nice to have someone confide in. I don't usually let my guard down so easy but Johnny made me want to.

I finished off the cigarette and walked back inside. The boys were gathered around the tv watching Mickey Mouse.

I got on the couch next to Two Bit and he looks at me sadly. He didn't say a word and was suddenly back to his happy self. Laughing and cutting up while drinking a beer.

Johnny kept glancing over at me from where he sat with Ponyboy. I only knew this because every time I turned to look at Johnny he looked away.

This went on for a little while longer before Two Bit groaned loudly causin me to jump slightly.

"I'm bored man. Y'all wanna go do somethin?" He asks. Johnny and Pony shrug. I take it they're not the type who goes out.

"Well if y'all need me I'll be at Bucks gettin a few drinks alright?" Two Bit left and Johnny and Pony nodded.

"Wanna go to the park?" Pony asks me. I shrug slightly.

"Alright. If it's okay with you."

"Why me?" Pony asks with a slight chuckle.

"Nothin. Sure I'll go. You got a change of clothes for me? Please?" I ask. Pony nods and walks back to his room leaving Johnny and I alone.

I glance over at Johnny and he was already looking at me. I smile slightly trying to get some type of reaction out of him.

He smiles back slightly.

Pony came back shortly after with a pair of jeans I assumed were to small for him and a t shirt.

I went back to the bathroom and changed, also relieving myself.

I washed my hands and brought my clothes out.

"Um what can I do with these?" I ask shyly. Pony points to a spot on the floor covered in clothes.

"Drop em there and Darry will wash them for you." I nod and put them on the ground. Pony and Johnny stand up.

"I'm gonna go get a blade in case we run into some trouble." Pony says. Johnny nods and I gulp.

"What's he mean by trouble?" I ask quietly.

"In case a soc rolls up or somethin. It'll be alright though. They don't come around here much no more." Johnny says. Almost as if he's hiding something.

Pony came back out a blade in hand and we left the comforts of his house.

We were walking down the street for a while in complete silence. None of us said a word.

I was starting to think maybe I should turn around and go back and leave these two but Pony spoke up.

"So Vixen. How'd you get here from New York?"

"Nice man named Bryan helped me here." I answered. Pony nods.

"Bryan Fields who works down at the bookstore?" He asks. I shrug my shoulders.

"Didn't catch his last name. I stayed with him and his brother the night before we left."

"William and Natasha?"

"You know em?" I ask. Pony nods.

"Well sorta. I go by the bookstore a lot and Bryan has all these photos hung up of them. He talks about em a lot. How do you know em?"

"Met him on the street back home. That's how I found out Dally lives here." I said. I don't want to go into a lot of detail with Ponyboy.

"That's nice. Say I'll take ya by to see him one day if you want."

"Alright. That's sounds nice Ponyboy. Thank you." Pony blushes slightly.

"Your welcome." Soon we made it to the park and Pony and Johnny went and sat at the top of the monkey bars.

I attempted to get up but my weak skinny arms wouldn't let me. So I sat on the dirt beneath them.

"Need help?" Pony asks. I nod and he sticks his hand out. Him and Johnny help hoist me up so I'm sitting comfortably in between the two boys.

I know it's not much but I was suddenly taller. The view from up here was amazing. Everything looked so different from this perspective.

And I'm not one who normally digs high places.