Part XVIII

2 WEEKS LATER

*****

Dally hasn't come by the Curtis house at all since movie night except to drop off my things.

I was starting to think he was trying to get rid of me but I desperately tried not too.

I spent everyday with Ponyboy and Johnny. They had taken me by the bookstore to visit Bryan. He was excited to see me.

All we ever did was go to the park, lot, movies, or the Dingo. Or we just stayed at the house and talked.

Johnny opened up some too. He talked more when I was around. And every night he sleeps in Ponyboys old room with me.

Darry let me have Pony's old room since it was clear Dally wasn't coming back.

I got along better with the gang. They were nice and stuff. They didn't pressure me to do things.

I got jumped a few times by the socs. Nothing major. Only thing left was a few bruises and cuts. Not that it made much of a difference anyways. I already had a lot of those anyways.

I was sitting in my new room looking over at the book Dally had stolen my first week here. I hadn't drawn anything in it yet.

I didn't really feel like drawing anything anymore.

I heard a knock at my door and I looked up to see Two Bit standing with a beer in hand.

"Hey." I say quietly.

"Hey. I'm heading over to Bucks for a drink. Wanna come?" Despite the fact that the only alcohol I've ever touched was drops left in my dads bottles I considered it.

"Sure but can it wait till later? I don't think day drinking is right." Two Bit nods.

"Yeah kid. We can wait. Ask Pony and Johnny along." He says before leaving my room.

I smile slightly. But then I frown when I realized where we were going. To the place where my dead beat brother was living.

Literally the very REASON I came to Tulsa with a stranger who could have killed me.

I thought maybe he'd care at least a little more than the old man but I was wrong. If it was possible it seemed e cared less.

Sure the old man beat me and kicked me out but he was flat out ignoring me. Pretending as if I didn't exist.

I heard another knock on the door. Ponyboy was standing there with his fists jammed in his pockets.

"Wanna go to the lot and play football or somethin?" He asks.

"Yeah. Let me just change I'll be right out." Pony nods and leaves me alone. I walk over and close the door then go to my dresser.

I picked out my black shorts and white tank top and white and gold tennis shoes. Might as well dress up since I'm going somewhere tonight. No sense in coming back to change right?

When I was done I threw my hair into a bun and walked out. Pony was sitting on the couch talking to Johnny. He must have just got here.

Johnny smiled at me and the two boys stood up.

"Ready?" Pony asks. I nod slowly and we walk to the lot.

I noticed Pony had brought a football.

"Where'd you get that shirt?" Johnny asks.

"Dally stole it couple weeks back. Like it?"

"Y-yeah. Real nice on you." Johnny says.

"Why're you so dressed up?" Pony asks.

"I'm not really. But Two Bit asked me to go for drinks with him tonight. Told me to invite you two." I said.

"I'll go if Darry says it's alright." Pony shrugs. Johnny nods.

"You ever got drunk before?" Johnny asks. I shake my head no.

"The only alcohol I've had was a few drops here and there from some empty bottles." I say. The boys nod slowly.

"Alright well let's play." Pony says. We both nod and we end up throwing the ball around for who knows how long.

It was when Pony accidentally threw the ball to hard and hurt his shoulder when we decided to go back.

Two Bit was sitting on the couch watching Mickey Mouse by himself. Soda, Darry, and Steve haven't gotten off work yet.

"Hey. Are the others coming with us?" I ask Two Bit. He shakes his head.

"No. Darry has a late shift and Soda and Steve have plans with Evie." I never did find out who Evie was. Clearly she's not that important if she hasn't been around before.

"So when are we leaving Two Bit?" Pony asks getting ice and putting it on his shoulder.

"Now kid if you asked Darry."

"Aw shoot. He'll be fine with it. Let's go. I need something to numb the pain." He says referring to his shoulder.

Two Bit nods and stands up.

He leads us outside and down the street. As I recall Bucks was a little ways to walk. And I had been on my feet all day.

When we got there the sky had slightly darkened. But it was clear a party was going on.

Music blasting and drunken screams were heard. The smell of alcohol was strong in the air even from where we stood.

Two Bit led us inside. The red light surrounded us and we were in a mass of bodies running against one another.

We made it to the bar and the guy who ran it looked down at us. Then over at Two Bit curiously.

"They ain't old enough to drink?" He says almost confused.

Two Bit smirks and cocks an eyebrow. A trick I was learning.

He leans against the counter.

"Just get us some drinks Buck. What they do ain't your business."

"Man if I get caught with this-"

"Nothin will happen man. Just pour the drinks." Two Bit yawns. The Buck guy looked around hesitantly before pulling out a few glasses and filled them until Two Bit said stop.

Which was at the fucking brim. Practically overflowing.