Part XIX

I downed my... my... unknown number, of alcohol. I stopped counting after 5.

Buck filled the glass again.

I loved being drunk. It made you feel so alive. Like you could do anything and not get hurt.

I'll admit. The first few times was bad because the taste was so bitter and I was a coughing mess.

But then I started getting buzzed and realized it wasn't so bad.

Two Bit had left a while back and Pony and Johnny got lost in the crowd so it was just me at the bar pressuring some dude to pour my drinks.

I scanned the area again. My vision kinda altered from being intoxicated. I spotted a familiar blonde coming this way.

I recognized Dally immediately and tried to get off the bar stool quickly but to no avail.

Apparently I'm not very coordinated drunk. Dally got to me easily and caught me when I almost hit the floor.

"Get that drink out of here!" He yells. He starts pulling me through the crowd and I attempted to pull away but I was weak drunk.

He stopped when we were outside. The cool air felt great against my hot skin. Ponyboy and Johnny were on the steps with their heads down.

"How the hell could you loose her!" Dally starts yelling at them. He wouldn't let me go.

He yelled and cursed at them and they just sat there.

I started getting angry. Angry at Dallas who abandoned me, angry at my father who abused me, angry at the whole damn world for seeing something happening right in front of their eyes.

I snapped. I saw red. My intoxicated brain couldn't think straight.

"Quit yelling at them! They ain't done nufin wrong. Besides why do you even carreee? All that time you've abandoned me now you're trying to be a brother!"

Dally stopped talking and looked at me. Anger in his eyes.

"The fuck did you just say?"

"You heard me. You're nothing but a liar and a-a- a promise breaker. You told me you wouldn't leave! You promised I wouldn't get hurt!"

"What are you talking about you're not hurt." Dally says.

"You fucking left! That's what hurt Dallas! I came all the way from fucking New York to get away from that asshole we have to call dad! I came here for you because I thought maybe you'd treat me differently. But you have treated me worse!"

"Don't you dare compare me to him. How the hell have I treated you worse? I haven't lain a hand on you."

"It's not about hitting Dally! You got rid of me. You pushed me away like I was nothing. You're worse than dad."

SMACK

My face stung suddenly. I looked at Dally who was looking at his hand petrified.

He hit me.

The ring on his finger had caused my cheek to start bleeding. I looked at him. Tears welling up in my eyes and I spat on his face.

"Go to hell." I clenched my teeth at him and he just looked at me.

"Go- Vix- I'm so- I didn't me-" he was speechless.

"Finally stooped as low as the old man huh? Figures." I turn around. Johnny and Pony looked at me with fear and sadness.

I heard a honk. I looked over to see Darry pull up.

We got in his truck. He didn't even bother to ask questions seeing as my sunken state wouldn't be able to answer properly.

"Mm. It's hot." I started taking off my shirt but Pony stopped me.

"No!"

"Mm fine!" I slur. Then I crawl over him and Johnny Darry protesting. I made it to the window and started crawling out.

I felt a hand go to my waist and I looked over to see Johnny holding on to me. I smile slightly and continue to climb so I was sitting in the open window.

The air blew coldly against my face and I felt better than being crammed inside of the small car.

Johnny kept his hands on my waist to steady my swaying. I put my hands on the roof and just looked at the sky.

I thought about Dally. That prick.

But I didn't want to think about him. I had a whole night of fun. Why waste it thinking drunkenly about your fuck up brother.

Darry kept protesting for me to get in the car but I wouldn't listen. I was to wrapped up in the feeling of the wind rushing past me and the buzzing feeling I had where Johnny touched me.

We made it home and Johnny carefully opened the door causing me to swing over. I laughed loudly and it took all three boys in the truck to help me out.

Johnny practically carried me inside since my drunken state of mind wasn't very coordinated.

Darry went back to his room and Pony stuck with us to help Johnny put me to bed and make sure I felt alright.

When Johnny and I were alone he took off his shoes and jacket and climbed in next to me.

He took his usual position as far away as he could but I'm touchy when I'm drunk. So I slid over and put my arms over his chest and snuggled up in his neck.

"You like to cuddle huh?" Johnny asks.

"Mm. Yep."

"Yeah. I noticed. Normally when you're asleep you cuddle up next to me."

"You're a great cuddle buddy." I mumbled into his neck. I felt Johnny shift slightly under me but I was to drunk to care.

"I like you a lot Johnny." I rambled on.

"I like you too Vixen. You're a good friend." Johnny says back. I sit up shaking my head. Johnny looks at me confused.

"No. Not as a friend. Past few weeks I've felt something for you." I slur.

"Quit talking like that. You're drunk you won't remember this tomorrow." I noticed Johnny swallow slightly.

"No. I know what I feel okay. I like you."

"No you don't. You're drunk-"

"I may be bonkers, but that doesn't change anything Johnny Cade."

We were quiet for a little bit. I slowly went back to Johnny's side. He looked at me. We stared into each other's eyes, and all of a sudden, our lips were pressed together.