Part XXIV

"Y-yeah but because he was living in a bar. But trust me these people are the best. They would never hurt me... on purpose."

"Your only suitable guardian abandoned you with what I'm assuming is strangers."

"They were at first but I lived with Dally for 2 days ish." I say.

The doctor nods slowly. I don't think I made him change his mind about calling the cops. Damn my big mouth.

He leaves after a few minutes of awkward silence.

Suddenly the gang burst through the door. I smile broadly.

"Vixen! You're okay." Ponyboy exclaims.

"Yep."

The gang crowds around my bed and one by one give me gentle hugs. When I get to Johnny he looks at me sadly.

"I'm so sorry." He whispers.

"It's okay. You aimed for the right person." I told him. When he pulled away Dally was next.

"I'm sorry kid. It's all my fault. I shouldn't have left you."

"It's alright Dally." I told him. A single tear went down his cheek and he hugged me tightly. I wince in pain.

"Hurting." I wince. Dally pulls away quickly.

"Sorry kid." He says.

The gang all sits around. I'm sure the doctor wasn't expecting all of them to come.

"What'd the doctor say?" Darry asks.

"He didn't tell me anything about how I am. But he told me he was gonna bring some cops in in the morning and question me." I look down and play with my fingernails.

"About what?" Dally asks.

"Just to see if I'm in a safe environment or if I need to go to a girls home." I say the last part quietly.

"Girls home?" Ponyboy asks.

"Yeah. The doctor doesn't think I'm safe with y'all." I say.

"This is my fault." Johnny whispers putting his head in his hands.

"Stop fucking blaming yourself Johnny Cade. It is not your fault. Sure you hit me but it was an accident. It's my dads fault." I yelled at him.

Everyone was silent for a few minutes.

"You're right." Johnny mumbles.

"I'll fix this." Dally stands up.

"What?"

He walks out of the room quickly without saying a word. We all look around at each other as if questioning what was gonna happen.

I hear yelling in the distance. Some shuffling. Then the door burst open moments later and Dally comes back holding the doctor.

"Tell her." He says.

"I'm not calling the cops. You're clearly in good hands." The doctor says shakily. Dally lets him go and walks back to his seat.

"So doc. What's the deal with Vixen. How is she?" Darry asks as if nothing has happened. The doctor coughs slightly. And straightens his clothes.

"She's fine. We gave her some blood. She's on pain medication right now. She should be clear to go home in a few days. But she'll have to stay in bed unless she absolutely has to get up and not do anything to strenuous."