Part XXIII

JOHNNY POV

*****

Sometime later the cops came and arrested Dallas dad. They took some people as witnesses to prove Dally didn't do anything to physically hurt him.

Dally was let off and he joined us back in the waiting room. He was shaking in anger and he sat down and leaned his head against the wall.

"I'm gonna fucking kill him if I ever see him again." He mutters so only I heard.

My mind wandered back to Vixen. Hurt. Alone. In a hospital.

I hated hospitals. Now at least. I almost died myself a few months back from a broken back.

But I healed somehow even though the doctors said it would be impossible. Now just being here gave me the creeps.

We waited for what felt like hours. Steve and Soda had fallen asleep leaning against each other. Darry played with his hands. Pony was reading a magazine they had laid out. And Dally was still trying to calm himself down. Two Bit was in the gift shop looking for things to swipe.

Suddenly a doctor came out. Dressed in surgical scrubs. Covered in blood. I gagged at the sight. He could have changed first.

"Can I speak to a mister, Dallas Winston?" The doctor calls. Dally raises to his feet immediately.

We all followed him over to the doctor and he looked confused and overwhelmed.

"You're here for miss Vixen Winston correct." Dally nods slowly.

"We just pulled her out of surgery. I have some nurses taking her to ICU to recover."

"How is she?" Dally asks. His hands were shaking slightly.

"She's in stable condition. We're gonna keep her overnight and give her some medication for pain. If she wakes up I'll be sure I give you a call. You boys can go on home."

"What. I cant leave my sister."

"You can wait in the waiting room but you can't see her until she wakes up." The doctor explains.

"Come on Dal. She'll be alright." Darry says. Dally turns around and looks at him before looking back at the doctor.

"Fine. But you keep a close eye on her I swear to god if someone other than a doctor comes near her I will break every last bone in your body." Dally threatens. The doctor nods.

"Yes sir." He says. Darry pulls Dally away. It felt like a huge weight was lifted off my chest. Vixen was gonna be okay.

We all piled into Darry's truck. Dally Me Steve and Two Bit got the bed and Soda Pony and Darry got the cab.

We made it back to the Curtis house in no time. We all got out and walked into the house quietly.

We all agreed to stay the night and wait for the hospital to call in case Vixen woke up.

*****

It was the middle of the night. I was just starting to doze off. Sleeping was a lot harder now that Vixen wasn't with me.

I heard a shrill ring break through the silent house. The phone. I quickly got up and ran to the living room. Dally was quick to beat me to the phone.

Soon everyone else woke up.

"Hello?"

"Yeah this is Dallas. Is my sister alright?"

"She's awake? That's great can we come see her?"

"Thank you we'll be there soon." Dally hung up and turned to us.

"Vix woke up." He says happily. I smiled brightly and we all run back to the truck.

We all got in and Darry drove quick to the hospital.

*****

VIXEN POV

*****

I woke to an annoying beeping sound. I opened my eyes and was blinded by s white light.

The air smelled abnormally clean.

I groaned when realization hit me. I was in a hospital.

Memories of my dad came back. The grip on my arm. The knife flying through the air.

Johnny.

I remember everything that happened. The pain I felt in my stomach.

I looked down and saw I was in a gown. I pulled it up and saw the large scar I had going across my stomach. The blade was sitting on my nightstand wiped clean.

A doctor came in unexpectedly with his head down looking at a clip board. He looks up and sees me awake and smiles.

"You're awake Miss Winston?"

"Yes sir." I say quietly.

"Right. Would you like me to call your brother or wait until morning?"

"What time is it?" I asked.

"12:30."

I thought for avminute. Chances are Dally gave them Darry's house number. And I don't think any of them will be asleep if they know I'm here.

Who knows how long they've waited for me to wake up.

"Call him please." I whisper. The doctor nods and leaves the room.

I slowly lean my head back on my pillow.

The doctor came back a few minutes later.

"You're brother will be here soon. Right now I'm going to refill your medications so don't be alarmed." I nod and the doctor takes off the bag of clear liquid and unattached it.

The cold feeling that ran through my veins stopped suddenly. He replaced the bag with a full one and the cold started again.

He also took away a blood bag that I assumed brought blood back into my body and he carefully removed a tube from my arm.

I wince slightly when he pulled but soon it was out.

"There you go. Now tell me. Do you remember anything about the attack?"

"Attack? Johnny didn't mean to hit me. He was aiming for my dad."

"Mm. And why was this 'Johnny' aiming for your father in the first place."

"My dad beat me a lot when I was younger. He kicked me out a few weeks ago and I came here. He found me somehow and tried to take me home. Johnny was just trying to do the right thing."

"Okay. I'll have the police come and interview you in the morning." The doctor stands up.

"Police? Why?"

"To ask some questions seeing if you needed to go live in a girls home."

"What? Why?" Because you're hurt because of a friend and your dad. You can't be in a safe environment."

"My brother left me with the best people!"

"Your brother left you?" The doctor raised his eyebrows and I widened my eyes. Damn it.