Chapter 43

"I just don't get it. Why would Ty'ann run away?" I asked, confused as we expeditiously make our way over to our black ops headquarters building in Roanoke, Virginia.

Roanoke, Virginia is nearly six hours away from Virginia Beach. We don't have a lot of time for that, It's already 12 noon. Ty'ann, Casey, and Corrine will all be dead if we drive all the way there. So, we're only driving to Lake Lawson/Lake Smith Natural Area. Are private jet and pilot are already there waiting for us. We're only about ten, fifteen minutes away from Lake Lawson now.

"No, I think the more important question here is why would Marissa go after a Ty'ann?" Ronald asks, his features comprise of confusion.

"No! That's a question that has already been answered. She went after Ty'ann to get to me." I threw my hands up in the air looking at him

"No! I mean yeah, but it's more than that.  I have a feeling."  he strokes his chin in deep thought.

"You have a feeling?" Marty scoffed. "What feeling? A nerd feeling?" he then laughs prodding Amarillo the arm expecting him to join him in laughter as if that was 'funny'.

Ronald turns to shoot him death glares.

"Dude," Amarillo said ceasing his laughter and gaining his attention. "Not funny." he shakes his head no. 

"Ah. Come on." he throws his head back laughing hysterically. "Live a little."

"How about you shut up?"  Ronald snapped.

"What? Are you going to make me?" Marty seems totally unbothered by Ronald's demands and threatening glares. "Are you going to put me on my shit? Big tough guy." he mocked Ronald as he Jabs him in the chest. Ronald then gave him and his hand a dirty looked as he looked him up and down as to say, 'I know he didn't just touch me.'

"Do that again. And you'll find out." He threatened.

"Is that a threat? Or a promise?" Marty raised an eyebrow.

"It's a promise!" He retorted.

"You better leave him alone, brah," Amarillo warned Marty. "You Aren't going to make out on top."

"Man, Suck my ass!" Marty shoved Amarillo.

As their scrambled bickering continued,  I observe my mother's movement. She's quiet, which is a first I TELL YOU. Her hand's grip the steering wheel tightly, as we are stopped at a red light. She then starts tapping her fingers on the steering wheel, a sign of her growing impatience.

I squinted my eyes to get a better look at the small sweat follicles that are trickling down her face. When she gets the chance, she quickly wipes it away with her arm.

Suddenly the sound in the car becomes hard to make out, as I only focus on the beat of her heart.

"Do you see something that's fascinating?" She asks as she glanced over at me and then back at the road jolting me back to reality as I was lost deep in my own thought.

"Huh?" I asked.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she asked as concern laced her voice.

"I'm just curious about something." I cleared my throat as I admitted.

"About what?"

"You."

"Me?" she asked as she pointed to herself with her index finger.

"Yeah, you."

The incoherent bickering between the boys had stopped as they focused their attention on us.