Chapter 4 Letter Of Request

Walking up the stairs to the station you and Phoenix wasted no time in getting to the door leaving maya slightly lagging behind. She bounced up the stairs holding up her skirt a bit finally reaching you both.

"Why are we in such a hurry?" She looked between the two of you. Phoenix and you gazed at each other and suddenly seemed to realize it wasn't just the two of you doing a case, Maya was here too. You pressed your lips together watching Phoenix open the door to the building letting you and maya walk through first.

"Well this was how it was the first time we were on a case together...I guess we just forgot about a third person for a second!" You frowned a bit seeming embarrassed as you walked through the halls.

"Oh!" Maya looked thoughtful only to smile suggestively at you and Phoenix. "So you're saying...you both were just so lost in each other!" She laughed as you and Phoenix both had shocked expressions on your faces, frantic even. And a giant red blush to match.

"N-no! No that's not!-" you tried to say but stammered as Phoenix spoke over you.

"Of course not! W-we just have a system now!" Both of you remained quite avoiding the others gaze. Maya just smiled nearly smirking, she had a side mission to this case!(make sure you and Phoenix notice each others undying love! Just like in the movies! She may be a "teen"! But she knows romance when she sees it!!).

You felt like the detention center wasn't close enough even if by now you had it memorized, walking into the visitors room you hastily gave a name sitting down at the chair as Phoenix did, maya behind you both. Powers was brought into the room his eyes red and puffy and you thought you saw the tear stains still under his eyes, he was really choked up about all this.

"H-hello! I didn't expect you three to be back so soon!" Powers sniffled rubbing his eyes with a tissue. "How was the studio? They all think I did it don't they..." there was a silence.

"N-no not at all! Isn't that right guys?" maya looked down at you and Phoenix.

"Of course it is!" You smiled at Powers.

"At worst you're a suspect!" Phoenix placed his hands on the table before you all after another sniffle left Powers. "But there's one thing that we need to get straight Mr.Powers" there was a look in Phoenix's eyes that was different to the fire in the court room, or even the fire he had when he spoke to maya behind the glass. Was that just your imagination? He looked almost protective..."if there's anything you're trying to hide from us you need to tell us, you don't say the truth we don't have a case!"

"W-what?!" Powers looked a bit shocked. "I-I'd never hide anything from you all! I'd never do a thing like that!"

"Well...what he means Mr.Powers is that you told us you had been asleep in your dressing room at the time of the murder" you began as Powers nodded saying something about sleeping like a baby. "But that contradicts what the security woman had told us, she said she saw you that day and that you were going to the scene of the crime!" There was a wash of silence again. Finally powers said something shock clear on his face like at first he just couldn't get his words out.

"W-What?! That's not possible! I... I really don't know what to say! I was sleeping, I promise!" Powers seemed shaken at the news that had been shared.

"Mr.Powers....if you want us to help you, you have to tell us the truth. I'm new to this lawyer business and I need every advantage I can get!" Phoenix slammed his hands down on the table making Powers jump, Phoenix was serious, did he not believe Powers?

"I know...I'm sorry!" Powers inhaled deeply sniffling in the process. "But, I swear to you on my momma's grave, I was sleeping. Maybe the security lady only thought she saw me?" Hmm, he sure looked as if he meant every word of that and you had no feeling he was lying. What about the security woman? You never did get her name, she was a bit hostile at first! But then she simmered down for you at least!