Chapter 14 Penny For Your Thoughts?

The incident on the stairs was now long forgotten as you walked to the employee area again looking around seeing, still, nothing had been picked up since the day of the murder. You wondered if that was because the police had asked for everything to stay as it was until the investigation was all over. Your eyes looked around at the familiar room now noticing some wood and duck tape covering the drain.

"Hey! Nick, (Y/N)! It's that assistant girl!" Maya pointed her out to both you and Phoenix making your head turn to look at penny as she looked at something in her hand looking a little frantic. "Hey!" Maya tried to get her attention with a wide smile. Penny looked up slowly her eyes wide before they relaxed and she walked over to where all three of you were standing. She seemed a little tired.

"Hi...WP's lawyers, right? I heard about the trial! Great job, guys!" Penny seemed to beam at you and Phoenix and you just waved your hand in dismissal.

"Oh no no it's nothing super!" Even if you played it off it was always nice to hear people praise you.

"Oh?" Phoenix blinked before laughing a little, did he sound a little smug? "Don't mention it." Phoenix smirked broadly and you found your self staring until maya elbowed you with a slight smile making you look away from Phoenix with a shake to your head at her.

"Is it true they caught the security lady!?" Penny looked between you and Phoenix with wide eyes, this only made Phoenix laugh a little more seeming to be lost in his thoughts. "Actually, she just called me. She told me to cover up that drain..." Penny seemed thoughtful and you looked to the drain with a sigh.

"You mean this one?" You pointed to the drain that was badly covered up before turning to look at penny again, she tried but it was quite the mess.

"I... I know... I'm not so good with handiwork. Some assistant, right?" Penny didn't look to happy looking away a little disappointed.

"No, no it's just fine for keeping things out! Don't be so hard on your self, you tried right?" You sighed a bit.

"Besides you work on props and backdrops right?!" Maya clapped her hands together a bit, she's been doing that an awful lot lately.

"R-right. Just... lots of times they end up looking worse than they did before I fixed them." Penny looked like she was about to cry and you looked at maya with a shared worried look.

"Oh? Oh! Well, I'm sure these things happen. Nothing to worry yourself about!" Maya tried to be optimistic now as she looked at penny who slowly sniffled looking at you and maya.

"You tried your best and that's all anyone can ever ask of you!" You smiled a bit. "Nothing to worry about you'll get the hang of it"

"You're both right! I won't worry too much about it!" Penny nodded happily at your words and seemed more energetic. You could almost feel Phoenix looking at you and you didn't want to know what he was thinking. "Um, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to the guard station. I'm supposed to fill in for Ms. Oldbag."

"Right! See you later, then!" Maya called after penny as she left in a hurry Both you and maya waving goodbye as penny called back to you all.

"Good luck with your investigation!" She waved a hasty goodbye before she was out of sight leaving all three of you in silence. You shifted on your feet and walked over to the drain gate inspecting it with narrowed eyes.

"So That fanboy came in through here..." You mused over the thought looking down at the drain in thought.

"So it seems. I guess they covered it up in a hurry." Phoenix was at your side looking down at the drain with a thoughtful expression hands in his pockets.