Chapter 28 Feels Like A Dead End

You had filled maya in during lunch as you promised, while Phoenix had scarfed his food down as fast as he could lunch's smooth talking was often interrupted by Maya's gasps.

"YOU MEAN HAMMER DID THAT?!" "THEY DID TAKE A BREAK I KNEW IT!!" "NO W A Y!" Were just some of the things maya had said during lunch practically screaming at the top of her lungs. It didn't take long for an employee to ask her to quite down. Lunch didn't last very long after that. You stood outside of the police station looking up at it feeling the wind blowing through your hair now as you stared up with long eyes. You really wished you didn't have to be back here again but here you were. Slowly you walked up the stone steps leading the way.

"So Phoenix what happened to you and (Y/N) while I was gone?" Maya eyed Phoenix playfully while you kept a good distance away even if you were going to wait for them to catch up. Phoenix's eyes widened as he jumped looking at maya.

"What do you mean?!" Phoenix made a face, but he couldn't fight the blush that rose to his cheeks, he was thinking about your moment last night.

"I mean...did you two kiss or something while I was gone!" Maya looked excited.

"What?! N-no! Of course not!" Phoenix blushed furiously, now he chewed the inside of his cheek breathing heavily. Well you both almost had he just wished that your phone hadn't rang.

"Boo!" Maya gave Phoenix a thumb's down. "You're boring! Where's the romance! It sounded like a tense day yesterday and today! That was your chance!" Maya crossed her arms puffing her cheeks out in a pout. You were finally at the glass doors waiting for both of them to catch up not sure what they were talking about. Phoenix stared at maya with wide eyes before he looked away.

"I have no idea what you're talking about" Phoenix shook his head deciding to play dumb.

"Oh please! It's so obvious! You both are so in love!" Maya clasped her hands together looking day dreamy.

"W-What?!" Phoenix visibly flinched. "We are not..." Phoenix trailed off.

"Hey are you two coming up or what?!" You laughed after shouting a little to catch maya and Phoenix's attention.

"We're coming!" Maya called back to you bouncing up a few more steps ahead of Phoenix before she turned back to look at him. "You know my sister always said: don't put off to tomorrow what can be done today...maybe you should think about that!" Maya smiled at Phoenix before meeting you at the opened glass door happily walking inside. Phoenix was slower to reach the top of the entrance his eyes far off in thought. Did maya have a point? But what if he wasn't ready? He didn't want to be hurt again even if it's been years now. (But he knew he loves you the only thing that was holding him back was past pain...)

"Hey..You okay?" Your soft voice drew Phoenix out of his thoughts, he looked at you examining your eyes before he smiled a little. He knew for a fact you certainly weren't like...her.

"Yeah I'm okay, just tired" Phoenix groaned a little as he walked inside as you followed after him with a laugh.

"With the way you had eaten lunch of course you'd be tired" you looked at him amused not paying much attention to maya as she walked ahead of you both now.

"Ha Ha" Phoenix laughed sarcastically shaking his head. Even if he looked unamused he had a twitch of a smile on his lips.

"Oh don't be like that" you smiled at him as you both walked down the hall to catch up with maya.

"Hurry you two I gotta see WP again!!" Maya was bouncing on her heels and suddenly you felt tired. She had so much energy for someone who just channeled a ghost. You sighed and looked at Phoenix offering him an encouraging smile and a sigh before walking into the detention center. You took a seat down in the plastic chair once more, with Phoenix beside you and maya behind you both. You assumed she had told the guard you all wanted to see Powers.