Chapter 9 Oldbag Complications

"You saw the defendant, then? Hmm..." the judge looked thoughtful at Oldbag's testimony a silence over the court room until he turned to Phoenix. "Very well, let's begin the cross-examination. Mr. Wright?"

"Yes, your honor" Phoenix turned towards Oldbag who just scowled in the slightest at him as he thought about where to even begin.

"So Miss Oldbag you say you were "running errands" what kind of errands were you running?" Phoenix pressed a finger to his chin thoughtfully rubbing it. Oldbag looked a bit flustered and huffed.

"Oh well you know!" She seemed to narrow her eyes, this time you spoke afraid Phoenix would have her start screaming.

"Please Answer the question Miss Oldbag" you smiled knowing you couldn't get in trouble for this. Oldbag looked at you her eyes narrowing a bit before she sighed reluctantly.

"Actually... I was watching poor Hammer and Powers. Observing, you know?" She looked at you and you nodded a bit, well that was easier than you thought it would be. But you can't say you blamed her for watching them, you were sure it was a sight.

"O-observing? Weren't you supposed to be at the guard station?" Phoenix made a face now at Oldbag, she looked upset, or was angry a better word?

"Whippersnapper! I told you I locked the gate, didn't I? I did my job!" Oldbag snapped and you just had to look away, you don't think her boss would agree with that statement. "Anyway! I always watch Hammer's run-throughts. Always! Never missed one in all my years!"

"Hmm some dedication, maybe I should become a security guard" you muttered jokingly under your breath looking at Phoenix as he suppressed a laugh.

"You could quit being a lawyer and go get the job" he looked at you and you smiled playfully nudging him.

"Not a bad idea" you tried not to laugh, this was a court room no time for jokes! Even if you liked joking with Phoenix.

"Ahem" Phoenix cleared his throat now turning back to look at Oldbag. "So you say you were at the guard station that after noon...are you sure you were watching there the WHOLE time? No breaks? Not even a second?" Phoenix raised a brow. That seemed to strike a cord in Oldbag.

"O-of course! I am a professional, you know! Are you criticizing how I do my job!? Whippersnapper!" Oldbag began to huff and puff a bit.

"No, it's just, after seeing you eating those donuts in the guard station yesterday..." Phoenix trailed off in thought.

"I can watch the gate and eat donuts at the same time! Snipperwhapper!" Oldbag looked scarily angry again and you just lightly made sure to hide a bit behind Phoenix.

"Seems like she's loosing it! I've never heard her call you a snipperwhapper" you looked at Phoenix as he looked back at you.

"Should we raise an objection?" He raised a brow.

"Not yet" you moved away from behind him as he seemed to think again.

"So you say you saw Mr.Powers?" Phoenix pressed his hands against the table as Oldbag calmed down.

"That's what I said! Got wax in your ears, sonny?" Oldbag seemed amused.

"OBJECTION!!" Phoenix slammed his hands down on the table. "Let me get this straight, old bag! Er, Ms. Oldbag! You've been saying since yesterday that you "saw Mr. Powers," correct? But you're talking about the man in this photo, aren't you!" Phoenix raised the photo you, Maya, and him had collected yesterday holding it up to the court after you handed it to him.