Chapter 22 Everything That Was Seen

"So... you like the Steel Samurai?" Phoenix tried to start the conversation only to looked apologetic as you flashed him a look. Was that really all he could think of?! Cody looked up from his new trading card to stare at Phoenix. At first you thought he was going to scoff, but to your surprise he didn't looking excited now. Did he finally like Phoenix?

"He's so cool!" Cody gasped out his eyes twinkling and all you could think was how cute.

"I... I guess?" Phoenix looked unsure now, he was just as taken back as you were from the outburst. It was the last thing he had been expecting.

"You're judging him by his looks! You have to look at his actions, at his life!" Cody nearly jumped up as he spoke looking so spirited by this topic and you just looked at Phoenix with a slight twitch of a smile.

"I'm being lectured on life by a grade schooler..." Phoenix was thinking aloud again muttering under his breath. You overheard and finally smiled fully.

"Who else is gonna do it?" You looked at him with an amused expression as Phoenix looked at you quickly, he looked like he didn't expect you to of heard him.

"You like him too, don'tcha?" Cody spoke again looking at Phoenix who blinked slowly looking back at him.

"Uh... Oh, me?" Phoenix pointed at himself not expecting Cody to be talking to him. Cody nodded eagerly. "Y-yeah! I, um, love the Steel Samurai." That was a lie, you knew it was a lie because you were with him when he first watched it. He was so disinterested staring away hastily every time you caught his eye. He hadn't ever stared at the screen but what he was staring at that day you'd never know.

"So, tell me what your favorite thing about the Steel Samurai is!" Cody rocked on his heels and you found your head turning to look at Phoenix with wide eyes. Oh no he had to be caught in the lie, and by the look on his face he knew he was caught in his little act.

"R-right..." Phoenix tried to think, of anything! "I really like his, um, his kind nature. What a guy!" Phoenix was put on the spot looking to you hopefully for help.

"Totally! He looks so tough, but inside, he's as gentle as a kitten!" Cody smiled closing his eyes, his smile was so big and toothy it almost took up his whole face.

"Yeah..." Phoenix trailed off rubbing the nape of his neck.

"So, what else do you like about him?" Cody seemed eager to learn more and you bit your lip worried. Phoenix wasn't gonna last long with this act and you knew it. You chewed on your lip looking at Phoenix crossing your arms, then bringing on hand up to your mouth waiting to see what his answer would be. He stayed silent seeming to think, maybe about what kids would like maybe thinking about what the steel samurai was actually like, you couldn't tell but he was definitely thinking.

"W-well..." Phoenix trailed off dropping his arm from his neck, you knew he's never seen a full actual episode of that show what ever he said next was really going to have to sell. "I like it when he, uh, he vanquishes his foes!" Phoenix smiled as he arrived finally to his thought.

"Yeah! Whizzam! The Steel Samurai always wins! Always! Check this out! It's my fan album!" Cody seemed so happy reaching in his backpack after slinging it off his shoulder to show a hand made photo album. The cover was blue with sharpie written on it and over glued pictures on the paper. He opened it up showing you Phoenix and Mia all the pictures he had compiled together.

"Wow!" You couldn't help but exclaim your eyes looking over every picture with interest. You couldn't believe some one took the time to make something like this.

"I go to every live performance!" Cody brought his attention back to you smiling broadly. The live performances? They did that? Oh! You remember maya talking about them, they're publicity stunts to bring in more views for the show, Maya's never missed one. "I always take a picture when the Steel Samurai lands the final blow! Whizzam! I got 'em all! I never missed one! A perfect collection! Check it out! My new digital camera!" Cody proudly showed you all his camera and you just nodded.