Chapter 27 Thoughtful Conversation

Honestly you couldn't believe it, really you should of expected it. But it was hard to when you had thought that today's trial was going to be nothing but a vain attempt. Walking to the street hailing a cab you turned to look at Phoenix and Mia seeming so happy.

"Celebratory lunch?" You bit back a wider smile.

"Hmm" Mia hummed smiling as she closed her eyes. "I'd love too, but I'm afraid I don't have very much time left, perhaps wait for maya?" Mia opened her eyes to look at you. Phoenix frowned.

"But you helped us a lot! How can we have a celebratory lunch with out you!" Phoenix frowned a little more.

"I can't take all the credit" Mia waved her hand in dismissal. "After all there were many times that I thought you two were doing spectacularly by your selves...you do make quite the duo" Mia smiled at you knowingly.

"But we'd of never been able to talk to Cody if it wasn't for you! And some more clues we found it was thanks to you!" You didn't want to take all the credit either, even if you and Phoenix do so well together. Mia just smiled sighing.

"I guess" she let out a slight laugh. "Say Phoenix, would you mind running inside and getting me some water? I'm a bit dry mouthed, with everyone leaving the court house all at once we've got time before getting a cab" Mia smiled innocently at Phoenix who blinked down at her.

"Oh uh-sure" Phoenix shrugged only to turn and look at you. He squeezed your hand suddenly like he wanted to remember the feeling of your small hand in his. "Do you want anything?" He blushed a bit.

"O-oh I'm okay don't worry if we're getting lunch soon I'll last" you laughed feeling your heart skip a beat. Phoenix just nodded hesitantly releasing your hand from his to turn and go back inside the court house in search of some bottled water leaving you and Mia alone. Mia turned to you tapping her fingers against her arms after crossing them and clutching her forearm with one hand.

"When do you think you're going to tell him?" She didn't beat around the bush. You blushed furiously feeling shocked she even said that.

"W-what do you mean?!" You slowly turned to face her feeling on the spot. You knew she was going to be able to pick at you easily. She just smirked a little giving you a playful look.

"You know what I mean (Y/N)...not even a blind man could be blind to the love you and Phoenix share" Mia just smiled more. She seemed so relaxed about it. You on the other hand weren't. You looked away from her dropping your arm to your side biting your lip, you didn't want to wave for the cab now. You wanted to play dumb but it was useless with her, you two had been best friends for years, you'd be a fool to lie.

"I....wasn't planning on it any time soon.." you trailed off. Mia's eyes widened.

"What?" She didn't believe it.

"Well I mean it's just...I don't know, I mean! We know there's something there...after his trial we decided not to act on it, I mean I'm still fresh out of a relationship and he said he wasn't ready himself so we just kinda wanted to wait... but now I don't know I guess I'm just scared cause we're close friends I feel like I could tell him anything! And you know you're the only other person that I've felt that way with.." you gently hugged your self. Mia nodded slowly, she seemed to know something you didn't about the reason why Phoenix wasn't ready for a relationship.(You figured that because when you said it she made a face.)

"I see.." Mia trailed off. "You do seem very close, but if you're ready you have to take a leap of faith..." Mia just sighed again.

"No!" You looked at her quickly. "I just!- I mean it's complicated!" You bit your lip again suddenly remembering the almost kiss from last night.