Chapter 12 After Court

Phoenix was silent waiting for the cab and you wondered if he was thinking about the case, thinking about anything really he seemed so lost in thought. There was an unfamiliar air about him you didn't like and you had to look away keeping quite as you shifted on your feet knowing maya was staring at you both confused why the air changed so suddenly. It was just so playful and now it was tense. Tense enough to cut with a knife.

"Maybe we should go back to the detention center first and see if Mr.Powers knows anything new? It wouldn't hurt...besides as long as we get to the studio before dinner time we should be able to meet the producer and the director..." you trailed off looking at Phoenix with the slightest frown against your lips, you really wondered what he was thinking.

"Huh?" Phoenix looked away lowering his arm from flagging down a cab to stare at you. The gears in his head were moving again and you frowned a little more, was he not listening? "Oh...I guess that would be better, what's more efficient?"

"Getting some food first im starving!" Maya huffed behind you both finally making Phoenix look at her slowly.

"This is serious maya..." Phoenix sighed a bit and you realized something was bothering him.(but what?).

"Phoenix, maybe eating will do us all some good...we know Powers didn't do it and the real murder had to of slipped up some where, it has to be so obvious we're just oblivious to it because we've done so much "staring" at the case! Let's just..get some lunch or a snack, head to the detention center and then go from there yeah?" You reached for him only to withdraw to grip your brief case with both hands. Phoenix just stared at you his face twisting until finally he sighed slumping his shoulders.

"That's...a good idea" Phoenix shook his head before feeling his face fall and his eye twitch with a joking annoyance at maya as she huffed and talked.

"Of course it's a good idea! (Y/N) and I are full of them you just need to listen nick!" Maya puffed her cheeks again and you just shook your head.

"We're all a little tense after the trial we just need a second to relax maybe it would be wiser to go back to the office and just sit for like five minutes" you crossed your arms in the slightest. "It wouldn't hurt anybody to just sit for a second, Besides these heels are killing my feet! I don't know why I haven't brought extra shoes!" You groaned and tried to balance to get off one foot only to wobble nearly falling over causing maya to laugh and Phoenix to chuckle a little.

"Alright...alright fine, we'll go get some lunch" he shook his head seeming to finally give in.

"YES!!!!! Can we get burgers! Or how about stake! Thinking about those T bone stakes we saw today has made me crave them!! Or maybe we could get something sweet!" Maya started to think going off about what sorts of foods you could go out and get and you just laughed.

"We aren't having any sweets for lunch!!!" Phoenix began to argue with her making you laugh a little more. Your little family was perfect even if Phoenix and maya argued a little too much.

"(Y/N)..." a voice called out from the distance and you hadn't heard it at first staring at maya and Phoenix until they both fell silent.

"Eek!" Maya jumped a bit.

"ACK!" Phoenix seemed more rattled than her visibly flinching. You had a feeling you knew who was behind you, but you don't think you wanted to turn around.

"...Wright. Fey." the voice was familiar and you knew that tone, he was displeased. You could feel his eyes burning your back and you refused to turn around closing your eyes with a pained expression. Maya and Phoenix too shocked to even say anything yet. "(Y/N)...."