Chapter 7 Unable To Sleep

The trial was tomorrow, the trial, and to make matters worse you didn't know who the prosecution was. You feared it was Edgeworth, feared you'd crumble to your knees seeing him standing before you with those sad eyes Gumshoe said he had. You never dreamed after Phoenix's trial that Edgeworth would be upset over the fact you left him. But you had to be strong, he made his choice and you made yours. You couldn't sleep staring up at the ceiling just staring at the shadows in the darkness that started to blur the illusion they were moving now in your eyesight.

You didn't want to admit it, you didn't want to admit you were scared. Scared how the trial would be, scared how Edgeworth would handle the situation, maybe he's changed. Maybe he hasn't. You held your breath turning on your side in the bed staring at the empty side of it and just closed your eyes. You missed having some one laying next to you, you missed some one waking up with you in bed telling you that your bed hair looked silly before smiling slightly brushing a loose strand from your face. You missed him. It's only been a month, you had been better than you thought you'd be but you knew the truth.

Phoenix dulled the pain, he was a nice comfort for your aching heart. You feared you fell because of that, because you were being selfish again, but you knew that wasn't the truth. He was more than just a comfort to you. You opened your eyes to stare at the window before sitting unable to sleep. The trial, the trial. Your mind was thinking, reeling too much. You wanted it to stop you wanted it to stop repeating scenes stop repeating things that have happened!

You were in a bad dream all over again, only this bad dream you still couldn't wake up from. You rubbed your eyes staring at the floor after swinging your legs over the edge of the bed. Your shoulders slumped and you bit your lip, would Phoenix be okay with you watching tv this late? You couldn't sleep and you didn't have ear phones for your phone...

Sucking in a breath you stood up walking to your door to open it looking into the dark and empty living room/kitchen staring back at you. It was void of the normal life but you knew better than that. Papers still littered the coffee table, books piled next to the couch DVDs by the Tv and dishes in the sink, two bags of trash ready to be taken out before leaving tomorrow. You smiled suddenly looking around again. Phoenix was so different, so much messier than Edgeworth and if you were being honest you wouldn't change it for the world. Sighing you walked out of your room walking to the couch and pulling the blanket draped over the back off it to curl up into it turning on the tv lowering its volume.

Your mind began to wander while looking for a show or movie, thinking about how you had woken up this morning on Phoenix's chest, thinking about how warm he had been how comfortable he had been. You sunk into the blanket and couch slightly sniffling. You wished this didn't have as much of an effect on you, but being alone, now lost in thoughts your mind was being cruel. You began to wonder if you were over staying your welcome.

But Phoenix would tell you that right? You slumped your shoulders and found your self tossing the remote on the coffee table covering your eyes to sob as quietly as you could shaking. You hated this you hated how you weren't fine now that you were alone, you could fight your own battles you were an independent woman! But...you were hurt...

You didn't hear Phoenix's bedroom door open, you didn't see him standing there in the doorway looking to get a drink before waddling back to bed. Only to jump when he saw your shaking shivering form sobbing into your hands as quietly as you could the TV playing in the back ground. It illuminated your figure and he was just staring. He didn't think too much about how you were feeling about Edgeworth after Gumshoe dropped the subject, he had offered to let you come back here to think but he sees why you didn't want to now.

It all made sense in Phoenix's mind, you didn't want to be alone, lost in your whirl wind of a mind. He wanted to say something but he was just paralyzed sticking to the floor with tensed muscles. Flash backs of the end of Mia's case filling his head, you had cried so much that day breaking down finally after winning the battle, he had too. But you were more broken up.