Chapter 25 Trials And Tribulations

You paced out in the defendants lobby as soon as you were aloud out of the court room. Your heels clicked against the floor as you crossed your arms chewing on your thumbnail twisting it between your teeth as you walked back and forth. Phoenix was sitting on the bench looking lost as both of you waited for Mia to walk over from the stands. Powers didn't look too happy himself sniffling heavily.

"Phoenix. (Y/N)." Mia called for you and Phoenix finally pulling you from your thoughts to turn and look at her furrowing your brows into a look of concern.

"Mia! We're getting chewed out!" You released your nail from your harsh teeth only to bit your lip.

"What do we do now?" Phoenix was on his feet next to you looking at Mia for help. She stayed silent before she looked away rubbing her upper arms while they were crossed.

"I'm sorry....I guess I was wrong.." Mia sighed out looking defeated, you don't think you've ever seen her like this. You wondered if she felt like she's lost her touch...

"M-Mia! Don't tell me you're giving up!" You clenched your hands into fists looking determined. "He's innocent we know it!! We just need a new angle come on can't we think of something? All three of us?" You turned to look at Phoenix with hope only to see him looking beaten.

"If you give up, what hope do we have?" Phoenix pressed his lips together. Mia just looked at you both dropping her arms to her sides.

"Don't get me wrong. I've never given up on a trial before, not while there was a chance. Only one thing became clear in your cross-examination. The people in the trailer could not have gone to Studio One. I thought there was more to it than that... But I was wrong. That's all there is." Mia shook her head.

"You're thinking too inside the box, you can do a lot in 15 minutes and Phoenix and I know the walk to studio one isn't more than 3 minutes, by the sound of it the murder was quick there's just!- just something we're missing!" You didn't want to give up, even if you felt as defeated as everyone else. You never wanted to give up again after a month ago, there was no chance you were giving up. If you had given up on Phoenix he'd of been long gone and now you cant bare the thought. Giving up was not an option.

"I don't know.." Mia shook her head at you but Phoenix was thinking about your words, you could be right.

"Umm...Er...excuse me...But what's going to happen to me? It kinda seems like everyone in that courtroom thinks I did it...They think I'm a murderer!" Powers suddenly spoke up behind you and Phoenix making you both turn around to face him. If you were being honest you forgot he was there.

"Don't worry, Mr. Powers. If you are innocent, we will prove it. I guarantee it. Leave it to us, and... be yourself. Be strong. You are the Steel Samurai, hero to children everywhere, after all." Mia suddenly nodded turning to look at you. "Cody is going on trial next, be careful and don't press too hard just on what we can get him on. You're right (Y/N) there's something we've over looked" Mia stared at you with soft eyes and you realized it was you this time who fired her up. Normally it's her firing you up.

"I... You... Thanks." Powers sniffled blowing his nose into his tissue from Mia's words. You smiled relieved feeling Phoenix taking your hand again, Mia noticed you two seemed very close today.

"For the kids?" You let an amused smile cross your face.

"Yes for the kids, let's make this one for them, let's do it!" Mia looked at Phoenix who nodded. It was time to go back in.
________________________

The gavel hit the "stand" with a heavy sound echoing through the court room a couple of times as you took your place beside Phoenix.

"Court is back in session for the trial of Mr. Will Powers." The Judge seemed thoughtful even as he spoke.