Chapter twenty

Yesterday I left the office with Derrick after the news. Carter stayed behind and learned more information, but I couldn't seem to focus to anything since then. My head spun in circles as I realize my life was a big lie.

The groups sat around me and talked, but I stayed focused on the fact that my life feels as it just was a plane that crashed. How did I get here? I mean hell I lost people that I cared for and what was the whole point?

The voices around me became louder as people started arguing. I focused my attention to them as they talked.

"Me and Abagail are leaving and we wish you all the best." Brandon stated to everybody.

I looked at him in shock. "What?!"

Their heads turned towards me. It was the first time I spook since the office.

"Trust me I don't want to, but I think I need to be home for a little and I want Brandon safe with me." Abagail spoke.

"I think that's good for you two." I said as I wished I could run off.

"Thanks. We are leaving tonight."

Carter started to speak of plans before they left and I zoned out. I started blankly at the kitchen counter as I felt Darren put his arm around me for comfort. He leaned towards my ear and started to whisper sweet nothings to me as everyone else talked.

It didn't take long for someone to come up with an idea to spend our last day with Brandon and Abagail. We put blindfolds on them and picked up some knifes then walked outside into the forest.

We found a big tree and put the two of them in front of it. Ryan and Ashton took off their blindfolds and they looked back at everyone confused.

"We decided to leave a mark on the world before you left." Sam explained and took his knife up to the tree.

He started to carve in it and then they realized the point of the tree. Kevin went next to him and carved his name next to Sam's.

I smiled at the sight of something memorable. I felt happiness seep through me as Darren gave me a loving stare. I returned his gaze with a wink and grabbed a knife. He of course followed me and we found our own spot on the tree.

I started to carve a big heart then soon we wrote our full names inside it.

When I finished I looked over the names on the tree so far. Abagail, Brandon, Ashton, Sam, Kevin, Carter, Ryan, Nathan, Jack, and Jacob next to Blue's name.

I felt a pang in my heart as I went up to carve my moms name. Sam joined me and carved the name that I thought was my dad.

Deep inside I will always think that he was my actual father because I could never consider Rick to be. It's ironic that my real dad is so cruel.

Once we finished I gazed over the names again. Darren joined beside me and we just looked at the tree peacefully. I wish Darren and I could run off somewhere safe. That was only a reality in our dreams.

***

We all gathered around the kitchen counter watching Abagail. She wanted to do us one more favor before leaving so she tracked any kind of information she could get on Rick.

When she was done she gave us all a small smile. A knock on the door our attention. Just great.

Tired of stupid games I went to go open it and yell at Rick. I don't care what kind of weapons or crew he has. I opened the door and started to yell, but stopped when I seen a stranger.

"Um, sorry. I brought you mail." The man said and handed me the mail.

I took it and he walked away. After he was gone I closed the door and sat the mail down and walked back into the kitchen.

Before anyone could ask questions a hone started ringing. My body tensed up as I thought of it being Rick.

Abagail pulled out her phone and answered the call, "Hey, mom."

I could hear a faint panicked voice from the other end and Abagail started to tear up.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about where I am at because I will be home soon I promise." Her voice wavered as she spoke.

I frowned in her direction and went over her to give her a reassuring pressure on her shoulder. She looked at her phone and clicked it off while her parents were talking.

"Looks like we should get our last day over with." Kevin spoke his thoughts. We all agreed and prepared for our next plan.

***

Our last plan for them was swimming. Something simple and completely normal. We all splashed each other playfully then I got onto Darren's shoulders.

Abagail followed my lead and got onto Brandon's shoulders. The guys got us closer to each other and I grabbed her arms. She grabbed mine back to keep steady and I gave her a strong push.

She fell back and landed under the water. I cheered in victory as Darren got me off of him.

We all swam in the water and enjoyed ourselves until it started getting dark. We got out of the water and headed to the car's.

Before getting in we got ready for the end of our day with Abagail and Brandon. They had their own car to go wherever they planned on going.

I went up to Brandon and gave him a small hug. He smiled down at me after we let go.

"After this is all over we will be back. I intend to make many more dumb memories with you all."

Ryan and carter started to talk to him as I went over to Abagail. She smiled at me and gave me a good bear hug.

"It was nice having a girl around." I said.

She giggled and pulled away from me. Ashton walked up next to me and said his goodbyes to Abagail.

Soon we had nothing left to say. We packed up in our g]cars and waved goodbye.

They drove off first and I felt happy for them. They were going to their own safe haven.

***

Getting home we all felt exhausted and went to our rooms to sleep. I somehow was the only one with energy any energy.

Entering an empty room with Darren was weird. I would miss Brandon making fun of us. I went over his stuff and looked around at the memories he left behind. I came along to the condom he had put in my gift bag for my birthday on 'accident'.

My mind went straight to what I wanted. Darren.

I turned around to catch his gaze and blushed.

"What?" He curiously looked at me.

"It's time."

He looked at me confused as I started at him waiting for him to catch on. He didn't seem to understand so, I moved over to show the condom on Brandon's desk.

He caught on and gave me a surprised look. "Are you sure?"

I nodded and closed the gap of space between us.