𝔽𝕚𝕧𝕖

"Hello?" It was him. It was the voice of the boy that Desiree used to be so familiar with the boy on the other line. Honestly she didn't know what to say to him. What could she say to him? Well she thought it'd make sense to start with...

"Hi."

Silence. Both parties were shocked, to say the least, that the other was actually on the line. Nick didn't know what to say next because of all the thoughts running around in his head. He didn't know how to start, or how to not make it awkward. This would be awkward for the young adults either way, but how do you ease into a topic such as this?

"Desiree?"

"Nick? How did you get my number?"

Nick chuckled awkwardly. "Let's just say my Ma has some connections."

Desiree nodded, but quickly realized that Nick could not see her do that so she just said, "oh."

"W-well what's w-with the call?"

"I can't just call you to, uh, say hi?" Nick avoided the question.

"Nick, I heard your voicemail... you, uh... wanted to ask me something?" Desiree was barely able to choke out.

Nick let out a heavy sigh over the line. He really did not want the rumor to be true because he hated the idea of someone he used to really trust lying to him. Then again, could a kid really be the worst thing in his life right now? That he wasn't sure of, but first he needed to know the truth.

"Des... I saw something."

"Okay, what was it?"

"A note. Addressed to me. In your handwriting." Desiree couldn't believe what she was hearing. How could the note have gotten to Nick she hadn't even put an address on the outside of the envelope. H-How...

"Desiree?" Nick had to make sure the girl was still there as she hadn't spoken for some time.

"I- I'm still here... What did the note say?"

"It said that I had a daughter. And her name was Meridee. And you didn't tell me because I hurt you."

"Okay," was all Desiree could think of saying at the moment. "How did you get that letter?"

"Des! That's not the important issue here!" Nick yelled. He was having so many emotions right now, but all he wanted to know was the truth.

"Nick. Please don't yell at me." Desiree said weakly. She always hated when Nick yelled at her. He would never put his hands on her, but he could get pretty scary in their relationship.

"I- I'm sorry." Nick said calming down. "The letter got online by someone who claims they found it in a desk and my roommate happened to find the post... but Desiree please, tell me it isn't true. Tell me this is all one big joke so things can go back to normal."

Desiree was at a loss for words. She felt horrible for keeping this secret from Nick for so long. He deserved to know, he needs to know so he can be in her life. Meridee needs her dad.

"I can't."

"Y-you can't what, Des?"

"I can't tell you that it's not true, because it is. We have a daughter."

Silence. Nick had no idea what to say or do. Whether or not he really wanted a kid, he had one. But the boy decided he needed to be there for his daughter. He wasn't going to be a dead beat. That just wasn't the type of man he was.

"Wow... C-can I see her?" Nick asked, his voice was soft and steady, contradicting how his head actually felt in that moment.

"I- I don't know."

"You- what do you mean you don't know? She's my kid too!"

"Oh is she, when you've done nothing for her, her whole life. You know you could've called me these past two years. You never tried to check up on me after you left and completely lost contact with me! Did you forget about that Nick? You hurt me too."

"This is my child we're talking about Desiree!"

"You don't think I know that? You don't think I've cried for her because she doesn't know you? You don't think I've cried myself to sleep because I miss you. I still do that shit. And honestly I don't know if I'm ready to see you yet because I'm afraid." Desiree had a tear spilling over, threatening to fall.

"Afraid. Afraid of what?"

"Of opening up old wounds. Of wanting you back. There's a lot of shit going on in my life right now and I don't need you to be another reason why I can't sleep at night Nick. I really don't."

"W-what's been going on? Is everything okay?"

"I really don't want to talk about it right now. Honestly I've just been so depressed I just need one thing in my life to go right." Desiree sobbed.

"I'm coming to see you."

Lo's Hoes
Another emotional chapter cuz yeh. But Happy New Year babes may 2020 be filled with great stories for ya!  Thx for supporting me and my works all 2019. Get ready for even more!