Chapter 27: Test of Trust

Peach and Bowser seemed to have been talking for hours that it started to irritate Luigi. He knew Bowser loved him and only him, but seeing him with his former love interest bothered him. "I think you'd fit the spot well, I'll put in a good word for you". "Why thank you". Peach then got up and left his office. Bowser then looked over at Luigi," I noticed you glaring over here once in a while. Is there a problem"? Luigi grumbled and looked away getting back to his work. He heard Bowser get up and walk over to his side getting close to his ear while draping an arm over his shoulder. "Jealousy doesn't look good on you. Remember you ask me to promise never to hurt you, and I won't". Bowser went back to his desk while Luigi worked.

Moments went by and Luigi decided to go check on Mario. He left the office and noticed Mario and Peach talking, he walked close enough to listen to them talk but not to be seen.

"Mario I'm surprised you made it". ".......". "You're not still angry with me are you, you brought this upon yourself". "I'm not worried about you, I more care for that CEO spot next to Toadsworth. "Well good luck". Luigi heard peach walk away and he emerged from where he was standing. He looked at Mario's face as he went to comfort him. "Don't worry Mario, I'm positive you'll get the spot". Mario gave a small smiled. "Does Bowser have anyone for him" Seeing how his brother was in need for help he sulked a bit. "Peach, she was just talking to Bowser about it". Mario seemed to get angry," I see so he came over just to throw me off by, 'being nice'". Mario began ranting about Bowser as he knew for the longest he was still the same monster from years ago. Out of the corner of his eye, Luigi noticed Toadsworth walking up to him. Toadsworth seemed to glance at Mario before focusing fully on Luigi "Luigi may I have a word with you in private". Luigi got a bit nervous, thinking that he must've done something wrong. He nodded and followed him to his office.

"Now Luigi in a couple of hours I'll pick who I want to follow in my footsteps to become the next CEO or President of this hospital. I need you to give me who you think fits the job". Luigi smiled as his answer was very clear," Mario of course". Toadsworth wrote the name down. "Ok now wait here while I call the other 4 here". Luigi went to sit off to the side while the other 4 head doctors came in. "Ok, I think you all know why I called you in today". Luigi noticed that they all seemed to keep a fair distance from Mario which made him worry. "The vote was not unanimous I'll start with that". As Toadsworth said that he noticed that Bowser's face changed, he looked a bit puzzled. "But it's decided, The doctor who goes the spot is Bowser". Luigi's jaw dropped a bit but held it in place before it could full fall. He looked at Mario who's face got pale. He turned around and walked out of the office. Luigi was about to sneak out as well but Bowser stopped him. "Luigi, would you like to celebrate after work"? Luigi kinda brushed it off while walking around him, "Yeah, yeah sure". Bowser got a bit angry and decided to quietly follow him, right after Peach and Toadsworth gave their congrats. Wario also left behind Luigi. Mario stood in a sectioned off area and was upset. "I deserve it, I let my work get in the way of everything, I probably would've let this whole CEO thing get to my head anyway". "Mario, you made mistakes and I see you're trying to fix it", Luigi said trying to relax him. Wario found then and chuckled. "What Wario", Luigi said angrily. Wario grunted," Nothing I knew Mario wasn't going to get the spot, but I'm surprised it wasn't a tie or some shit". "I'm guessing that was your reason for voting for Bowser", Luigi said. Wario nodded unapologetically and smiled," Don't worry Mario I voted for Bowser because, no one really likes the guy, I don't even like him, so he's bound to fuck up, and when that happens Mario can fuck up next it's a win-win.". Wario walked away laughing leaving Mario still sulking. "Don't worry, what if Wario is right, Toadsworth might pick you if Bowser isn't the right fit". Mario sighed," I guess, I'm just happy you had my back". Luigi nodded and smiled," We're brothers, I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that". "I'll go work on some things, and go home", Mario said. He left Luigi and he decided to go back to Bowser's office to do the same.

As he walked in Bowser was at his desk, staring at him. "What's wrong, is Mr. CEO excited"? "Cut the crap, Luigi". Luigi was stunned, by Bowser as he snapped. Bowser got up and cornered Luigi on his desk. "Why didn't you vote for me huh"? Luigi was speechless, at how aggressive Bowser became. "I thought you had my back Luigi, you asked me to be nice, but you're not being nice to me". "I-I am being nice Bowser I've been nice to you all this time, Mario is-". "Don't give me that shit, Mario is only your 'Bestfriend' because he has no one left, all he has done to you is verbally abuse you and you still stand by him so easily"? "I forgave Mario, it's not that hard to forgive someone". Bowser still couldn't understand Luigi, he didn't know why he'd still do nice things for Mario. "You'd feel the same way Bowser if you were more nice to others, people would be nice to you and have your back like I do, but also Mario". "Before the meeting when you left to check on Mario, I was trying to be nice to everyone, and no one likes me, they won't ever like me, Peach is the only one so far that has a better relationship with me". "And that's a good start, everyone is sure to follow you". Bowser seemed still upset, Luigi cupped his cheep and smiled. "Listen, You promise me that you wouldn't hurt me, so I won't hurt you, Even though I voted for Mario, I'll make sure you stay on top. Bowser got close to Luigi and they began to kiss.

Suddenly the door opened. "Hey, Lui-" Both Luigi and Bowser jumped back. Luigi's heart raced as his body started to tremble. He never knew fear like this. "M-Mario..!"