7.

"The greatest and most powerful revolutions often start very quietly, hidden in the shadows. Remember that." ― Richelle Mead

The road to hell is so well paved that it does not need to be maintained. - Ruth Randell

Chapter 7

The whole ride we were surrounded by a very awkward silence. We were both under tension and it was only a matter of time when we were going to burst. I spent most of the time looking out the window, though I wasn't even a bit focused and I was sure that If I was asked what I had seen, I wouldn't know what to say. I was thinking about everything that had happened. It was clear to me that Mateo was extremely possessive over me, but not once did it occur to me that the whole thing could escalate that quickly. To make it worse, he acted that way after only a week of us hanging out, or whatever that was called. I was afraid to even think about what might happen in the future.

I stole a few glances at him while he was driving. His fist almost turned white from how tightly he was gripping the steering wheel. I had no idea how he was even in a condition to ride, he looked like he was going to murder somebody any minute now.

I let out a sigh of relief when he finally stopped the car. He quickly exited and, before I could react, he came to my side and opened the door for me. I got out, but I refused to give him my hand even though his only intention had been to help me. He looked at the car and approached me. He put his hand on my lower back and pushed a little, letting me know that I should get going.

I tried to figure out where we were, however, I couldn't come up with an answer. I didn't pay attention to our surroundings before he stopped the car, but I assumed that we were in some apartment complex as he had parked the car in an underground parking lot. He didn't even give me time to look further, he started to literally drag me to one side. The next thing I knew, we entered the elevator and Mateo pressed the button for the seventh floor, the last one.

The tension was even thicker inside. We were so close to each other that our shoulders almost touched numerous times. Also, I didn't know why we were in such a position in the first place seeing as the lift had enough room to fit a bunch of people.

You are doing it yet again! I kept telling myself. Whenever I was near him, I would simply forget the reason I was originally angry, which is the worst that can happen. The physical attraction we feel towards a person should never overcome common sense. I shook my head trying to do just that, to do the smartest thing I could at the moment.

Shortly afterward, a click could be heard and the very next moment, the elevator door opened. My jaw almost dropped to the floor. Surprised, I looked around the place I soon realized to be a penthouse. It was huge. Most of the walls were made of glass so I assumed it was extremely illuminated during the day. Everything inside was rather luxurious and done with style. The whole place was mostly dominated by neutral colors such as white, light gray, and cream. I also noticed the staircase leading upstairs. I couldn't even imagine what could be found there if this part is this big. He even had a dining table that could fit at least 20 people. At the same time, that was, besides the huge LED TV, the only black furniture in the room. That kind of confused me because it was in total contrast to Mateo. He was dark and mysterious, and his home was neat, modern, and luxurious.

What does he even do for a living if he can afford all this?

That question was driving me insane seeing as he had never answered it. I didn't want to make assumptions, but I wasn't stupid. The way he acted, his mysterious demeanor, and the fact that he had that much free time, didn't give me many options. However, I still wasn't ready to get an answer, although it was questionable if he would even give me one in the first place.