12.

For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson

The more things are forbidden, the more popular they become.

– Mark Twain

Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

– Friedrich Nietzsche

Chapter 12

"Do explain how you're not freezing right now." Sarah was looking at my dress with a shocked expression. Not long after Mateo left, the rebellious side of me won the battle in my mind so I refused to do what I was told. I hadn't change nor had I put on tights like I previously intended. I had already given him too much control over my life and we were only in the first stages of our relationship. I realized that he would, eventually, get used to the whole idea and I would never be free again. I had to put an end to that, no matter the cost.

„Beauty hurts." To be honest, I didn't agree with that statement. Beauty shouldn't hurt and girls should be pressured to do things just so society would classify them as beautiful and attractive. However, I couldn't think of a better excuse at the moment, because she was right. I was cold and I was slowly fading into the phase of despair and hypothermia. Nonetheless, I didn't give up, I had to go to the very end.

"That's the stupidest sentence you've ever said, and you've had your fair share of those," I rolled my eyes. I was aware of what her opinion on the subject was so I expected that kind of response.

"S, do you always have to be so grumpy when we go shopping?" Emma asked her, after Lena and she joined us by the changing rooms.

"Would you be happy if I made you play video games with me?" Sarah countered.

"Of course not," Emma rolled her eyes.

"Do I usually do that?" She asked her. Almost immediately Emma's expression changed. She looked beyond annoyed and she started biting her lips, which was a trait she did when she was frustrated.

"No, but that's not the same. Shopping is for girls. Playing games and other stupid stuff isn't." Surprised, I looked at Lena who casually barged in on the conversation since Emma refused to respond. I was aware that the two of them weren't exactly in a good place right now, but she went too far this time.

"Am I a girl?" Sarah said through gritted teeth. She was trying way too hard to keep herself together, even the veins on her neck started to pop out.

"I guess," she said rudely. I had a sudden urge to slap her across her face, however, I stopped myself before doing so. I was against all kinds of violence so that action would counter my beliefs.

"Do I play video games?" Sarah carried on with her interrogation, looking at her with such intensity, like she was doing it for the very first time.

"Sure, and?"

"Then I would say that playing video games is a girl thing?" She smiled in satisfaction and raised her eyebrow, daring her to deny it. A few times Lena opened and closed her mouth, trying to come up with some sort of a comeback, but it was all in vain. It was clear that Sarah won in that discussion. Eventually, she arrogantly flipped her hair and started walking towards some other part of the store. I didn't miss the smug look on Sarah's face and a smirk forming on her lips and I just had to do the same.

-

"Finally!" Sarah let out an exasperated sigh the moment we came out of the last store. I laughed and intertwined our arms, it seemed like she was going to faint at some point.