14.

"You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore."

― William Faulkner

"Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart."

― Roy T. Bennett

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

― Plato

Chapter 14

I loved my life, no matter how much suffering I went through. For example, I had an awful family life. I was on bad terms with my mother and what my father and I had couldn't even be called a relationship. However, I had many friends I was sure I could count on no matter what. They made me feel good and happy, and I knew that they would never turn their back on me, which was the only actually important thing. I believed that the two sides could eventually cancel each other out. Furthermore, there was this little fact that consisted of me thinking that I could do something with my life, something beautiful and powerful. I was ambitious by nature and just enough arrogant to believe that I could accomplish most of the things I worked for. Thus, I had plenty of reasons to be satisfied with my life. Even if those reasons didn't exist, I had always thought that life could be beautiful if we focus on the right values and if we looked at the world with optimistic energy. There were bad moments, it would be strange if not, but after all those bad times, we would find ourselves in good ones that make life worth living.

That was the reason why I was on a verge of a panic attack when I heard Mateo's sharp and deep voice. I was aware what this scene, me with his phone in my hands, looked like - exactly like it was supposed to.

Mateo was mysterious to put it lightly, but he wasn't stupid. He knew since the moment he caught me in the act, what my intention was, yet, I still tried to get out of the uncomfortable and slightly threatening situation.

"Well...you see..." I stuttered because I essentially had no idea what to tell him.

"Watch what you're saying," he warned me. I knew what that was supposed to mean. Like he had said million times before, he despised liars, but I couldn't fight my impulses.

"I was only trying to see what-" I wasn't even able to finish the sentence before he got up, fully awake, and snatched his phone out of my hand. I couldn't even think of things he could do with it and he had already thrown It with all his might. The device flew at high speed for a few seconds, until it hit the wall and fell to the floor, rolling a couple of times along the way. Even from a distance, I noticed that it was completely destroyed. The screen was broken into a million pieces and the other parts of it were scatter around the room.

I couldn't take my eyes off the scene, or maybe I didn't dare to. I was sure that if I was to turn around, I'd have to face Mateo, and that was the last thing I wanted. The whole atmosphere was destructive which definitely didn't suit my body at the moment.

My heart was beating like crazy, I was even scared for a second, thinking that it would jump out of my body. My breathing was hard and heavy, I could see my chest moving, trying to force my lungs to do their job. I was shaking. I found myself in a similar situation a while ago, the only difference being that at the time it was my phone that suffered consequences. I had a strong feeling of Déjà vu, not only in a visual sense but also when it comes to my emotions too. I practically felt the same way I did back then, maybe even worse.

"Look at me," he said in a quiet tone. Nevertheless, I knew better - he was everything but calm.

I kept quiet. I was scared to speak seeing as I was pretty sure that my voice would crack if I do so.