17.

"Sometimes we refuse to see how bad something is until it completely destroys us."

― unknown

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

― unknown

"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe."

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Chapter 17

"5 people died and dozens were injured after they were caught in the crossfire between two gangs that took place earlier today. Representatives of the police department and ministry of internal affairs didn't want to comment nor did they give more information on what was the cause of the shooting. We will be back with new details. Now, let's move to the sports section..." Mateo changed the channel when the news ended.

The four of us were in Mateo's penthouse. I was seated on a couch in the leaving room, my head resting on Mateo's neck and my legs crossed over his. Leon and Hannah were sitting on a sofa to our right. We were surrounded by silence. None of us knew what to say. Mateo's friend and his girlfriend were too much engrossed in their thoughts judging by their facial expression, and Mateo acted as if none of what had happened bothered him. One of his hands was busy playing with the strands of my hair, while the other one was holding a cold compress on his face. He seemed void of any emotion as if he wasn't even capable of feeling them. His calm demeanor left me astounded seeing as I was beyond surprised by the events that took place earlier. I still haven't come out of the state of shock and processed everything that had happened.

"I can't believe what happened," I muttered after the silence became unbearable for me. And I couldn't. However, the worst thing of all was the fact that I had no idea what I was feeling. Mateo's touch made me feel secure and safe, but there was some unknown weight pressing on my chest, that kept me from breathing at a normal rhythm. There were many thoughts going through my head, most of which I couldn't even say out loud. I practically couldn't even remember how we got back to the apartment. I was so shocked by what I had witnessed, I could hardly feel someone's arms lifting me up and putting me in the car. The only thing I had been aware of was that the police cars arrived as soon as we left the area where the fair was being held. The timing was so perfect that I wondered if it was really accidental. It looked like I was in delirium for the rest of the ride. I could hardly decipher my surroundings.

"I know, me neither," Hannah agreed and nodded her head. Yet, for some reason, she didn't really sound convincing.

"But, I don't understand," I carried on with ma confusing statements.

"What exactly?" Hannah asked me. Leon and Mateo completely ignored us. The only indication that they were there was that I could feel Mateo's caresses on my neck and shoulders, and I noticed that Leon was doing the same to Hannah. It was actually pretty comical how synchronized they were.

"Why?" I started "Why the fair? Why in broad daylight? Why did the police take so long to arrive?" What happened to the man Mateo was fighting with? However, I didn't dare ask that. I didn't give up on getting an answer, but I was also smart enough to realize that I wouldn't get it if I started questioning my rather impulsive boyfriend.

"Don't burden yourself with that, princess," Mateo told me and kissed me on the forehead, leaving his lips there longer than necessary. That pissed me off. How could he expect me to put the subject aside? Even if I somehow did potentially understand his reasons for ordering me around before, this was a completely different kind of situation. I was in the middle of the crossfire! Although I still haven't fully addressed that fact - the proof was the adrenaline and shock that ruled over my body so I didn't feel as much fear or any other emotion for that matter – I still had countless questions and was frustrated that I wasn't getting answers.