Chapter 14

We hurried and took the barely alive vampire to the hospital. Nox was pissed, but he did accompany us.

The hospital was not a big one as I had seen in Summer Coven, but it would suffice.

The second we entered, the nurse who was talking with the receptionist with a coffee in her hand, threw the plastic cup in the dustbin and rushed to get the stretcher.

The emergency team came by, but Silver was not letting go of Aiko.

Taurus and Nox had to pull zir off her. As they rushed her into the emergency unit, Silver broke down right in the hallway, clutching zirs head. A sharp cry left zirs mouth and resonated in the hospital.

For a vampire who was so composed and who had so promised to take care of Mina, ze was losing it. One hand flew to zirs neck and the other to zirs heart. Tears left zirs eyes, but no more words came out.

The nurses and doctors were rushing here and there and I quietly left the emergency ward and went to the main reception.

"I..." I paused at the receptionist. "I want an admission."

"Name and age," she said monotonously as she clicked the computer back to life. "And what doctor called you here today?"

I closed my eyes and shook my head. "My... my friend is admitted in the emergency-"

"You don't need to worry about that, sir," she said, raising her head up. "Registration in the ER will be transferred here. You don't need an admission here."

I smiled. "Thank you."

"No problem," she smiled.

I let my eyes wander around the reception as I took in a deep breath. Keeping my hands in my pocket and walked slowly until my eyes caught the board which held the names of all the doctors who worked here.

Mina Ruiz's name came under the surgery department. I smiled at the irony. Silver's mate was brought here, to get treated in this hospital while zirs chosen mate worked here. What would happen?

Would Aiko be alright? Did she even find that Silver was already marked? Would that not break her further? She had been waiting for her mate for a long time and this happened. While I could not fault Silver or Mina, I would still stand by Aiko.

But knowing her, if she knew that Silver was already mated, she would leave zir.

As my eyes scanned over the names, one name struck me hard. She was a psychiatrist. Dr Alexis Hayes. I took a step back when someone collided with me.

"I am sorry," I said turning to see the male who had bumped into me.

"I am so sorry," he said at the same time.

He blinked at me and then gave me a weak smile. "I am Jed Davy. Beta of the pack under Alpha Eric."

I shook his hand. "I am Draco Stykes. A guest here."

"Ah!" he nodded. "I remember Eric talking about your arrival. Can I take it that you like it here? Anything you like to change?"

"Once a beta," I smiled. "Always one."

"What brings you here?" he asked.

I took in a deep breath. Just now I thought I would not think about it. "My friend... she is near death. Starved for six months. If my other friend had not given her blood a few weeks ago, she would have been dead now."

His lips parted. "Is... is she fine? Do you want me to call Mina? She can get things done faster here."

I looked at the ground. It was their problem. They had to work it among themselves.