Chapter 44: Charted Love

I check the time that slowly ticks by beside me; 7:16 am.

I smile.

The first nightmare that ended in a better light. The first nightmare that I was actually able to save my own life in. The first nightmare that I actually felt strong.

My smile widens.

Pixie eyes me with her similar look of attentiveness when I come out of a nightmare.

"I did it Pixie," I say proudly. "For once, I survived."

I get out of bed and leave my room, Pixie following closely behind. I head to the kitchen to have breakfast.

John, Nine, Ella, and Sam all sit at the kitchen table eating pancakes and bacon. Ella smiles at me as I enter the room. John does the same.

"Hey. How'd you sleep Emily?" Nine asks.

"Better," I answer, still smiling. "Nightmare as usual, but it ended better."

"Good to hear," says Sam as he noisily chews on a pancake and gives a piece of bacon to BK under the table. "Hungry?" he then asks.

Before I can respond, John already pulls out a plate from the cupboard to grab me some food. "Oh, it's okay John. I got it," I say. He raises an eyebrow. 

I focus on the spatula, concentrate on levitating it without touch.

Telekinesis. It's one of the two legacies I developed in the cave that Nine was able to help me control. John steps back as I aim the spatula underneath a golden-brown pancake and mentally direct it to the plate. I do the same with a couple strips of bacon before bringing the plate to me.

Everyone smiles at the sight of my Legacy at use.

"Getting better Emily," Nine notes with a satisfied smile.

So far, I can only lift lighter objects; usually a few at a time. Tables or chairs are still a bit too heavy. It's easier, I realized, if I can somehow imagine the weight of the object move on its own.

Once everyone is finished eating, Marina and Eight come back from their morning walk and introduce an idea of how we can further the development of my Eneration.

"So, Emily's Legacy has to do with Energy, right?" Eight asks.

I nod and reply, "It seems so."

"Well, what if we did a meditation session? Myself, Marina, and you. It might help you control that power. I can guide you," Eight continues.

"A meditation session?" I repeat aloud in skepticism. "How is that going to help me control this ability?"

"Back in India, I used to meditate all the time. It helped me stay calm and reach a sort of spiritual enlightenment. Maybe that's what your Legacy needs. Maybe it isn't a Legacy directed on physical combat but spiritual wellbeing," Eight clarifies. "It's worth a shot. What do you say?"

I look to John, whom merely nods.

"Okay. I'm willing to try anything," I respond.

And so, Marina, Eight, and I head to the Lecture Hall where we take a seat on the floor in the center of the room. I asked John if he could join too; he didn't mind.

The lights dim with a silence in the air, I already feel calm. I sit cross-legged in front of Eight who sits in the lotus position with his hands on his knees, his palms facing upward. There are three candles between us with the small orange flames dancing in a gentle sway.

"Meditation isn't only a way to calm the mind," Eight begins. "It's a way for the individual to connect to their body; beyond what is physical, to their soul and spirit." I remain silent, watching Eight intently. "Close your eyes. Take a deep breath," he instructs. I do. "Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth."