02

I laid in my bed with the sound of stillness. It was around three in the morning and I couldn't sleep. My thoughts kept me awake.

My phone buzzed next to my body. I looked at it and saw that it was a text from Everly.

3:21 AM
everly / open your door.

I sighed and got up from my bed. I walked downstairs through the darkness of the house. I opened my front door and she was standing in front of me. She looked upset.

"What's wrong?" I whispered.

She didn't say anything but hugged me tightly.

"Steph broke up with me." She mumbled.

"What? Why?" I asked; surprised because they seemed happy together.

"Can we go to your room?" She looked up at me.

"Yeah, of course." We made our way back to my room.

We sat in silence, her sobs the only sound filling up the room. To break the silence a bit, I put on some soft music which played through my phone.

"Tell me what happened." I sat across from her on the bed.

"Since she graduated she said she didn't want a girlfriend to hold her back in college."

I didn't know how to respond to her. I've never been in a relationship so I didn't know what to say. So, I just let her keep talking.

"We've been together for two years, and for her to give up on us that quickly is a bitch move. I still love her, Lena." She cried harder.

"I know you do." I embraced her in a hug.

I met Everly in our freshman year of high school. We were both in the same homeroom and almost every class. I introduced her to Vince and ever since then we've all been best friends. One day during gym we were playing dodgeball, and her now ex-girlfriend, Steph, was on the same team as us. Of course, I got out first so I sat on the bench. Steph protected Everly from getting out by getting hit by the ball. After gym they started talking. They would go on dates every Friday night and quickly they both fell in love.

I personally have not always been a big believer in falling in love.

It's scary.

It's called falling for a reason, because eventually someone will get hurt.

And in this case, it was Everly.

Everly was a very beautiful girl and she knew it. She would use it to her advantage too. Her parents came here from France before she was born, and she sees their love. Their love is something she always aspired to have. Because of that she would always fantasize a life like that, but today, it would barely become a reality. She always tried too hard when it came to her relationships, and when something bad would happen she'll blame herself. She fell in love with almost everyone she dated, who were only four people; three guys and one girl. The guys always treated her as if she was the only girl in the world in the beginning, but once they got what they wanted they started to treat her like shit. She romanticized everything in her waking life, which made me gravitate towards her. She saw beauty in everyone and everything. She dressed as if she was from the early 2000s and always says how she wished she was a teenager back then, and other days like a spiritual hippie; she's very into that.

I felt so bad for her because the two of them used to talk about their futures together. Where they would live, how many kids they would have together, how Everly would go to the same college as Steph, but now it's all just...gone.