06

I was riding my bike home with music playing through my AirPods. My current favorite artist, Joji, played and set a calming mood throughout me.

I arrived in front of my house and put my bike into the garage. I made my way up to my room and face planted into my bed. I couldn't get over the way that Micah looked when Vince and Everly showed up to the diner a couple days ago. I see him from time to time when he's in his front yard, but other than that we haven't spoken.

It was a hot late June day, and Vince was with his mom somewhere and Everly was out with her other friends. My mom took the pool cover off yesterday and I decided to actually go take a swim.

I changed into a red bikini bathing suit and put on my white Crocs. I grabbed my towel and portable speaker, and headed to the backyard.

No one was home.

I slowly made my way into the pool after pressing shuffle on my playlist. Chills overcame my body as the cold water made its way onto my whole being.

I closed my eyes and held my breath as I went under the water. Everything became muffled and at that moment, I felt peace.

I came back to the surface and pushed my thick curly hair back. I swam around the pool, taking in the beauty of the nature that laid around me. The trees let the sun shine between each broken branch, and the sound of the insects set the mood. I floated on the water and looked up to the sky. The sky was partly cloudy, and one could even say that it was the perfect day.

Too bad that I was alone to enjoy it.

"Having fun?"

I turned around and saw Micah behind the fence that separated our backyards.

"Micah." I said with surprise in my voice.

"Helena." He smirked and chuckled at my reaction.

"What are you doing here." I swam to the edge and looked at him.

"Just bored. No one is home." He shrugged as if it was normal to him.

A moment of silence overcame us. He looked to his left and I looked at the pool. We were basically in the same situation.

"Want to come in?" I asked him with shyness in my voice.

He looked and smiled at me. He then nodded and walked into his house.

A few minutes later he came back out with his swim shorts on and shirt off. His beautiful brown skinned body was sculpted perfectly and it looked as if he worked out daily.

He hopped the fence and walked to the pool. He looked down at me and I gave him a confused look.

"What?" I asked him with a small laugh.

With no other word, he jumped into the pool near me, making sure to leave a big splash.

I groaned then laughed.

"Are you fucking serious?" I laughed as he made it back up to the surface. He began laughing at me.

We soon calmed down and looked at each other.

"So.. Want to play mermaids?" I asked sarcastically and he rolled his eyes playfully.

"Kidding!" I said with a laugh.

"Of course you would want to play mermaids."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I said with a gasp then splashed him.

"It means nothing."

"Mhmm." I rolled my eyes then swam to the other side.

When I made it back up to the surface, he wasn't there anymore.

"Micah?"

A tug on my hips and I was then underwater. I opened my eyes and saw that it was him, and I tried to push him away. I made it back up and coughed up the water that was so viciously put into my throat.

"What's wrong with you?" I continued to cough.

"I was just playing around- My fault, Lena." He came closer to me and I looked up at him. His eyes held sincerity.

"It's okay, just warn me next time." I slapped his chest playfully.

We stood in silence for a few, until he spoke.

"Want to race?" He raised his eyebrow.

I gave him the competitive stare, and of course I accepted.

- -

It was now six o'clock, and none of our parents were home yet. I invited him into the house and we both had sandwiches with chips.

"So where's your parents?" I asked him as we sat on opposite sides of my dining room table.

"Some banquet thing that my dad's new job is having." He took a bite of his sandwich.

"What about you?" He looked up at me.

"Well my mom is at work till twelve, and my dad is dead." I said, saying the last part lowly.

"I'm sorry about your dad."

"Yeah me too." I went into a mood where reality quickly hit me again. These moods usually led me to being dry in any conversation, and staying quiet.

"I get like you too." He whispered loud enough for me to hear.

I gave him a questioning look and he put his iced tea down.

"Where when the topic of their death puts you into a mood that you don't want to be in, but it just happens."

"I understand, Lena. How about we watch a movie or something?" He tried to change the topic which made my heart do a little flip.

"Uh, sure. Any requests?" I picked up my plate and cup and made our way to the living room.

"How about some Kevin Hart?" He gave me a side smirk and automatically I nodded.

"Hell yes."

We ended up watching Jumanji, and it was the first time I heard his genuine laugh.

It was beautiful and it put me into one of the best moods I've had in awhile.

It eventually became late, and this perfect day would have to come to an end.

We stood at my front door and I didn't want him to go.

"I had a great day today." He said with honesty laced with his words.

"Me too." I smiled at him.

"I don't even have your number." He nervously chuckled and grabbed his phone.

I told him my number and we said our goodbyes, then he left.

I closed the door and walked back up to my room. I laid down on my bed with a smile on my face. For the first time in awhile, I was going to bed happy.

My phone vibrated on my nightstand and I looked at it.

11:52 PM
unknown / good night, beautiful.