05

We walked down the streets of Quinnsland and into Main Street where everything was.

The walk was somewhat quiet with occasional questions he would ask about the town.

We stopped in front of the diner so I could lock my bike up.

"Quinnsland Diner. Very unique." He stated with sarcasm.

"Yeah you won't be saying that when you taste their chicken fingers." I smirked then opened the door for us.

I immediately saw my mom working her first shift of the day. During the summer my mom works at the diner, and during the other seasons she's a teacher at Quinnsland Elementary.

She walked up to us and smiled.

"Helena, what are you doing here?" She smiled then hugged me.

"Mom." I groaned, annoyed at the fact that she always says my full name.

"So Lena is short for Helena." Micah chuckled.

"And who's your friend?" Her eyebrows raised up and down.

"Hi Helena's mom. I'm Micah, your new neighbor." He put his hand out to shake, and she met his.

"Please, call me Persephone. And welcome to the town." She smiled.

"Can we get a booth, mom." I asked her.

"Of course. Table Five." She pointed into the direction of the booth that was near the window.

We took our seats and sat in an awkward silence for a few minutes until my mom brought the menus.

"So what did you say was good here?" He opened the menu and looked through it.

"I personally always get the chicken fingers with waffle fries. It's really good." I looked into the menu thinking what to the get to drink.

"I'm also going to get a strawberry milkshake." I looked up with a smile, but he was already looking at me. I started to become self conscious with myself and looked back down.

His head turned back into the menu.

"I think I'll trust you then." He shrugged. I faintly smiled at him.

My mom came back to take our orders then our menus.

"So, tell me. What's your story?" He crossed his arms and slightly leaned across the table.

"I don't really like talking about it." I shrugged and leaned back.

"You learned about me, beautiful. Let me find out about you."

An instant wave of heat approached my face and I started to get nervous.

"At least tell me about how life is like here."

"It's fun when you find the right people. I've lived here my whole life." I slightly smiled thinking of all of the fun memories I had before my father died.

"Does anything ever happen here? Or is it just a boring small town." He chuckled and so did I.

"Things do happen here. There's a fair coming next month for the Fourth of July week."

"I guess I'll just have to stay for that, hmm?"

"Of course you do. It's one of the most fun times you'll have all summer, unless you come to parties with kids from our school." I shrugged.

"Oh sure. I'm not really with the party scene."

"Where do you come from?"

"Philadelphia."