Chapter Nine

The rest of the journey to Hogwarts is peaceful, thankfully, with no more interruptions. Hermione continues to read her book whilst Harry and Ron eat their body weight in Cauldron Cakes. I admire the scenery out the window, now that the pouring rain has evolved into a light drizzle.

"You ought to go with the first years," Ron instructs me. "So you can get sorted into a house."

I furrow my eyebrows. I completely forgot that now I would have to be resorted into a new house. The Slytherin house, Draco's house, has been mentioned quite a lot in the Malfoy Manor. But I'm virtually unaware of the other existing houses.

"What are the houses?" I ask, snapping my head away from the window and gazing at Ron.

"Well, there are four," Ron starts. He clears his throat. "The three of us are in Gryffindor. So are Fred and George. Our emblem is red and gold. The qualities of Gryffindor are brave, daring, and somewhat stubborn," He starts.

Hermione takes over. "Ravenclaw is pretty nice too," She adds. "The students in Ravenclaw are intelligent and creative. It doesn't have to be school smart either, they could be gifted at something they are interested in," She tells me.

Ron nods. "I'm surprised you weren't sorted into Ravenclaw yourself," He tells her. Hermione shrugs.

"There's also Hufflepuff," Harry says. "They're patient and loyal," He informs me. "I could see you being sorted into Hufflepuff, you're a very kind person," He says smiling at me.

I bite my lip and blush. "Thanks, so are you," I reply awkwardly. "What about Slytherin?" I ask tentatively.

The three of them go silent until Hermione clears her throat. "Erm- we'll they're very cunning, sly, ambitious.." She rambles, naming a few adjectives that come to mind.

"You won't be in Slytherin," Ron assures me. "Besides, all their parents are Death eaters anyways, you won't want to be in there," He adds.

My stomach churns and I remember how my mother had told me she wanted me to be sorted into Slytherin. There's no way she was a Death eater- was she?

******

"First years! Come 'ere!" A large man with a long, brown beard calls. When he sees the four of us, a grin spreads across his face and he waves to us.

"Hello Hagrid!" Harry calls.

"That's Hagrid. He takes the first years on a boat to the castle," Hermione tells me. I nod obediently and walk towards the giant me.

"Er— hello. I'm Amelia Grey. This is my first year at Hogwarts, but I'm in my fourth year, should I come with you?" I ask Hagrid nervously.

He chuckles heartily. "Yer always welcome to come! You can sit o'er there," He says, directing me towards the front of the boat. I nod and quickly sit over there.

There's already quite a lot of children on the boat and I feel awkwardly out of place.

"You're a first year?" A boy asks from behind me. I don't even need to look at his face to know he's not a first year. His voice indicates he's much older. I turn around to face the voice.

The boy is incredibly handsome. He looks to be around sixteen or seventeen. He has defined features, with striking brown hair and hazel eyes. He wears his robes with a yellow tie and yellow trim.

"I'm in my fourth, actually. I just transferred to Hogwarts from Ilvermorny," I inform him.

The boy smiles. "You didn't seem like a first year. I'm Cedric Diggory, Hufflepuff Head boy," He introduces himself. I'm so struck by his attractiveness that I hardly notice his hand out in front of me. I quickly shake his hand and smile his way.