Chapter Fifty Eight

Let's just say, lunch that day was quite a treat. It was remarkably dull until a series of fireworks set off in the middle of the Great Hall. Even cranky Draco could not stop laughing at the occurrence.

"Impressive . . .," He mutters before delving into another fit of giggles.

"It's so loud!" Daphne complains with a huff.

"It's pretty funny, don't you think?" I ask.

She shrugs. "I guess," She says, not wanting to admit that a pair of Gryffindor students could be funny.

Just then, my owl Willow came flying through the chaos carrying a letter. She lands gingerly on the Slytherin table, standing still for a moment before dropping the letter on my lap and flying away again before I can even thank her.

Amelia,

You are to return home once you take your OWLs. Headmaster Umbridge is already informed.

Mum

My nose wrinkles at the brief and unexplainable note. "Hey Draco, did you get this letter also?"

I hand him the letter and he reads it. His eyes darken once he's finished. "I didn't."

"That's odd," I muse, tucking the letter into my robes and continuing with my lunch. Draco's eyes rest on the letter in my robes for a few seconds before turning away and flirting with Pansy.

After lunch, I have Defense Against the Dark Arts. Umbridge's classes have become more and more boring, but I always manage to keep myself from getting bored. As I walk to the class with the Slytherins, I gasp at the corridors.

It's covered in a sticky substance from the walls to the ceilings. Fred and George Weasley are in the center of it, cornered by Umbridge.

"So you think it is amusing to turn a school corridor into a swamp, do you?" She hisses.

"Pretty amusing, yeah," Fred says fearlessly.

"You two," Umbridge says as Filch comes to stand by her side. "are about to learn what happens to wrongdoers in my school!"

"You know what? I don't think we are," Fred says cheekily. He turns to his twin. "George, I've think we've outgrown full time eduction."

"Yeah, I've been feeling that way myself."

"Time to test our talents in the real world, d'you reckon?" Fred asks with a mischievous look.

"Definitely, Freddy," George responds.

Before Umbridge can do anything, the twins raise their wands. "Accio Brooms!"

"We won't be seeing you," Fred says, swinging his leg over his broomstick.

"Yeah, don't bother to keep in touch," George adds.

"If anyone fancies buying a Portable Swamp, as demonstrated here, come to number ninety-three Diagon Alley — Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. Our new premises!" Fred calls out to them all.

"Special discounts to Hogwarts students who swear they're going to use our products to get rid of this old bat," George says, gesturing to Umbridge.

"STOP THEM!" Umbridge shrieks. But even her most loyal Inquisitorial Squad was too busy trying to contain their laughter to make a move on the twins.

"Give her hell from us, Peeves."

And Peeves, whom I have never before seen take an order from someone, springs a salute to the twins. Fred and George ride their brooms out the large, open doors and into the sunset amongst a loud string of applause.

******

The pranks that unfolded throughout the next week were impeccable. Fred and George truly left a legacy that will always be remembered. Students could be heard in the hallways saying, "I think I might pull a Weasley," whenever something didn't seem to go their way. It was even rumored that Umbridge had moved Harry's firebolt down to the dungeons in fear he'd try to pull a similar stunt.

Montague finally returned to Hogwarts, a little shaken up but overall uninjured. With his return, the Slytherin Quidditch team was able to defeat Hufflepuff in our last match. And just yesterday, Gryffindor narrowly won against Ravenclaw.

Soon enough, our OWLs came closer and closer. I'm surprised it was June already . . . my second year at Hogwarts has gone by quite quickly.

"As you can see," Professor Snape says whilst handing the Slytherins their OWL schedules. "Your OWLs are spread over two successive weeks. You will sit the theory exams in the mornings and the practice in the afternoons. Your practical Astronomy examination will, of course, take place at night."

Now, I must warn you that the most stringent Anti-Cheating Charms have been applied to your examination papers. Auto-Answer
Quills are banned from the examination hall, as are Remembralls, Detachable Cribbing Cuffs, and Self-Correcting Ink. Every year, I am afraid to say, seems to harbor at least one student who thinks that he or she can get around the Wizarding Examinations Authority's rules. I can only hope that it is nobody in Gryffindor. Our new headmistress has asked the Heads of House to tell their students that cheating will be punished most severely — because, of course, your examination results will reflect upon the headmistress's new regime at the school. . . ."

Professor Snape gives a tiny sigh. I think I saw the nostrils of his hooked nose flare.

"However, that is no reason not to do your very best. You have your own futures to think about."

The class murmurs in nervousness and awe, none of us ready for the test awaiting us tomorrow.

******

The next day, the four house tables were replaced with hundreds of individual desks. Our first OWL — Charms — was about to take place.

When the Hall is quiet in their seats, Professor McGonagall turns over a large hourglass. "You may begin," She drawls.

My heart thumps as I turn over my paper and dip my Quill in ink. " a) Give the incantation, and b) Describe the wand movement required to make objects fly."

Smiling slightly, I begin to write. Maybe the exam wouldn't be so horrible after all.

The physical examination was next, after lunch. The Slytherins ate in silence as we awaited our names to be called for this portion of the test.

"Goldstein, Anthony — Goyle, Gregory — Granger, Hermione — Greengrass, Daphne — Grey, Amelia," Professor Flitwick calls, shortly after lunch concludes.

Daphne, Goyle, and I stand from the Slytherin table. Hermione rises from the Gryffindor table and Anthony Goldstein stands from the Ravenclaw table.

"Good luck," I whisper to Hermione, feeling kind in stressful times like these.

"Er — you too, Amelia," Hermione whispers to me before the two of us diverge paths.

"You can go to Professor Marchbanks," Professor Flitwick tells me, gesturing to the only Professor left. Hermione is seated in front of a scary, balding man. I know she will do just fine, though.

"Hello, Amelia Grey? Make this wine glass levitate for me," Professor Marchbanks says a few moments after I sit down.

The rest of the test continues like that, and I am quite surprised at how simple it was.

"Very impressive. You are quite the talented witch. Best of luck, Miss Grey," He says once my exam finishes.

Transfiguration took place the next day, Herbology was Wednesday, and Defense Against the Dark Arts was on Thursday. Friday, I was given the day off whilst the Ancient Runes students had their OWLs. The following week, Potions was Monday, Care of Magical Creatures was Tuesday, Astronomy and Divination were Wednesday. History of Magic was last on Thursday.

Biggg things coming soon;):)