Chapter Sixteen

My daily lessons were becoming more difficult and demanding as time progressed, especially Defense Against the Dark Arts. I thought that this year it would come easy to me, since I had learned almost an identical curriculum last year, but Professor Moody was truly one of a kind.

To my surprise, Professor Moody announced today that he would be putting the Imperius Curse on each of us in turn, to demonstrate its power and to see whether we could resist its effects.

"But- But- you said it's illegal, Professor," Hermione says uncertainly whilst Moody clears away the desks and books to make an empty space in the middle of the room.

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," Moody says simply. "If you'd rather learn the hard way— when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely— fine by me. You're excused. Off you go," He says to a stunned Hermione.

My fellow students and I watch him call the first student up, Dean Thomas. He hops three times while singing the National Anthem. Lavender Brown imitated a squirrel. Neville did gymnastics.

"Potter, you're next," Moody calls.

Harry's face contorts with confusion and pain as he tries to resist the curse. Moody must've tried to get him to jump, but Harry flops to the ground and lands on both of his knees. Harry moans in pain but stands up, clutching his kneecaps.

"Potter fought it! He fought it, and he damn near beat it!" He exclaims excitedly.

Moody repeats the same curse with Harry a few more times until Harry can resist the curse almost entirely. After four times, Harry can manage to not jump when instructed to, and he instead just does a small little kick instead.

"Now.. let's get some Slytherin participation," Moody says, his round eye turning to where the Slytherins were standing. Draco takes a step behind Crabbe, out of Moody's eyesight.

"Grey," He huffs. "Get up here."

Nervously, I take a step forward. He whips out his wand and points it at me. The class seems to disappear as his command enters my head.

Sit down.

My feet stay planted on the floor and I remain standing. I don't feel the effects of the curse at all.

Sit down. Sit down. Sit down.

He repeats the command multiple times, but I continue standing. After many attempts of feeling nothing, he tucks his wand into his robe and scowls at me. "How'd you do that? What type of counteracting spell did you cast on yourself?" He asks, eyeing me suspiciously.

"I-I didn't do anything," I say, putting my hands up in surrender and feeling dumbfounded.

Moody huffs. "Ten points to Slytherin. But mark
my words Grey, if I found that you've been cheating I will take every single point away from your house," He growls. I nod obediently.

The students' eyes remain on me as I walk back to the Slytherins. My cheeks turn pink from the unwanted attention and I duck my head down.

Class is dismissed nearly two minutes later, and I was unfortunately the last one given the curse. Draco mutters how he would have been resistant to it too if Harry didn't take up half of class with Moody doing it. I leave the Slytherins shortly after that, not in the mood to listen to Draco's jealous rants.

The rest of today's classes were dreadful- each class was giving increasingly more coursework. Even Hagrid, the most lenient of them all, was starting to pine in on homework. It's to prepare us for our OWLs- which we won't even be taking until next year! It's ridiculous.

The next day, prior to breakfast, there was a large crowd of students congregated at a sign. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were all with me as we exchanged confused looks at each other.

"Wonder what that's about," Harry says, standing on his tip-toes to try and take a look at the sign.

Ron, being the tallest out of us, takes a step closer and stands up high. He reads it out loud:

"The Triwizard Tournament: The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving at six o'clock on Friday the thirtieth of October. Lessons will end half an hour early-"

"Brilliant!" Harry exclaims. "We have Potions last thing on Friday! Snape won't have time to poison us all!"

A Hufflepuff boy squeals at the front. "Only a week away! I wonder if Cedric knows? Think I'll go tell him..." He says, running off towards the Hufflepuff common room.

"Cedric?" Hermione asks blankly.

"Diggory," I inform the three of them. "He's planning on entering the tournament," I tell them. Ron and Harry don't think much about how I know Cedric is, but Hermione gives me a knowing glance.

"That idiot, Hogwarts champion?" Ron asks as we push our way through the crowd and toward the staircase.

Hermione purses her lips. "He's not an idiot. You just don't like him because he beat Gryffindor at Quidditch," She muses. "I've heard he's a really good student— and he's a Prefect."

Ron rolls his eyes. "You only like him because he's handsome," He teases.

"Excuse me, I don't like people just because they're handsome!" Hermione says indignantly, but the blush upon her cheeks says otherwise.

******

Hogwarts seemed to be extra clean for the next week until the thirtieth. I assume that Dumbledore ordered the castle to be cleaned in order to impress the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang.

I sit with the Slytherins in the Great Hall. Blaise is on my left and Pansy is on my right (gross). Blair is also seated across from me, her nose in a book.

"I wonder what the tasks will be," I say thoughtfully to the table. Blaise, however, is the only one listening to me.

"I heard you don't find out until the day of," Blaise says. "I would hate to be the Hogwarts Champion," He tells me. My heart sinks, immediately thinking of Cedric.

Before I can respond, an owl drops a letter to me. Blaise also receives a letter- allowing me to open my letter in my peace. It's odd, I only receive letters from Grayson and Francesca, and I haven't gotten the chance to write them back yet. I wonder who it could be.

Amelia,

Stay away from Draco Malfoy or there will be consequences.

From, a dear friend

My eyes drift to Draco, who is laughing at something Goyle said while biting into a green apple. I crumple up the piece of paper and shove it in my robe pockets — it's a stupid prank no doubt given to me by Pansy herself.