Chapter Fifteen

I could hardly get through Divination- Professor Trelawney continued exactly where we left off. Draco would not shut up about how we shared the same birthday and horoscope. I nearly jinxed him again, but stopped myself since I didn't want to humiliate myself if it failed again.

After dinner, I found myself heading to the library. I didn't really have anything to study for, but I received two letters from Grayson and Francesca this morning at breakfast and it would be a peaceful place to read them in.

As I enter the library, I see a familiar Hufflepuff boy at the back table. Cedric immediately notices me and calls me over to sit with him, which I gladly do.

"Cedric! I haven't seen you in ages!" I say, only to be quickly shushed by Madam Pince.

He chuckles. "Didn't know you missed me so much. It's only been four days," He teases, a friendly smirk playing upon his lips. "What brings you to the library?" He asks me.

I take out the two letters from my friends. "My friends back home have finally written me back," I tell him enthusiastically. "Why are you here?"

Cedric holds up his book- The History of the Triwizard Tournament. "I'm thinking about putting my name in the goblet, so I thought it would be smart to research it first," He confesses.

I gape. "Are you crazy? The challenges are insane!"

Cedric smiles. "I think I can handle it. It sounds exciting," He informs me, showing me a picture from a former tournament from many years ago.

"If that's what you want," I say, taking out my two letters. I open up Grayson's first- which I can easily recognize from his sloppy handwriting.

Amelia,

Things at Ilvermorny are so different without you. Even Headmaster Fontaine misses you, but he would never admit it. I'm failing DADA now since you aren't here to help me study for it. Professor Tom has gotten especially strict with the curriculum- he was also very disappointed to hear that you had left for Hogwarts.

Francesca is acting odd, but she's always been a little strange so I'm not too worried. Quidditch is starting up again and Thunderbird has no chance of winning this year now that its best Keeper is gone. I'll let you know what position I make- I'm going for Seeker this year.

If you aren't too busy, let me know how Hogwarts is treating you. I know you're doing great.

From your best friend ever, Grayson

My heart swells at Grayson's loving message. I've truly forgotten about how much I've missed him.

"Did your boyfriend owl you? Your cheeks are pink," Cedric teases, glancing up from his book. I quickly shake my head, feeling the heat in my cheeks only increase.

"Just a friend," I tell him.

Cedric grins. "So you haven't got a boyfriend back home?" He asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Correct," I confirm his statement.

"Good to know," Cedric says. Before I can question his statement, his head is buried in his book. I neatly fold Grayson's letter up and reach for Francesca's:

Dear Amelia,

Ilvermorny is so strange without my best friend. I've gotten detention twice this week already. I miss you more than words can say. I only hope that you're doing much better than I am right now.

Francesca

Francesca's letter is brief but worrisome. "I only hope that you're doing much better than I am," is the sentence that truly worries me. I'll be sure to tell Grayson to check up on her.

"I've ought to be going," Cedric says after around fifteen minutes. "Quidditch practice tonight," He explains, standing up and stretching his limbs.

I stand up also. "Me too. Er- it was nice talking to you," I say awkwardly, looking up at the brown haired boy as he smiles at me.

"You too, Amelia. See you later."

And he leaves, just like that.

I gather my belongings and exit the library shortly after Cedric had. I retreat to the Slytherin common room (yes, I had to say the M word) where the students in my year are sat calmly by the fireplace. Blair is on the love seat reading a book, Daphne and Millicent are braiding each other's hair, Pansy is clinging to Draco's arm like a schoolgirl, and Blaise is trying to talk to Draco while he's shaking off Pansy. Crabbe and Goyle are passed out on the floor, snoring loudly.

"Amelia! Where have you been?" Daphne asks loudly, once she sees me entering the common room.

"I was at the library studying," I tell her, taking the vacant seat on the couch next to her. Daphne immediately releases her grip from Millicent's hair and turns to me.

"Can I dutch braid your hair?" She asks me. "Your hair is so boringly straight," She says, taking a handful of my hair and then releasing it.

"Uh, sure, I guess," I tell Daphne.

"Her hair is probably all dirty from hanging around that Mudblood Granger so much," Draco says, looking towards Daphne and I. This is the first word he's said since I've entered the common room.

"Oh, shut up, Malfoy," I retort. "You wouldn't want me to bring up what Professor Moody did to you last time you insulted somebody?"

Pansy drops Draco's arm from her grip and looks at me, genuinely interested. "What did Professor Moody do to Dracey?" She asks me.

I ignore the repulsive nickname and glance at Draco. "I'm surprised he hasn't told you yet. Aren't you two quite close, Pansy?" I ask teasingly.

Pansy huffs, glares at Draco, and leaves the room. Draco has a relieved look on his face. My plan wasn't to make Pansy leave and satisfy Draco- it was supposed to embarrass him without actually disclosing the details of what Moody did to him.

Draco turns his gaze to me and narrows his eyes. "Talk about that one more time and I'll destroy you," He mouths to me.

I look around to see if anyone had seen that, but no one else did.