Chapter Forty

The end of year feast the following week was depressing to say the least. I was still extremely distraught about Cedric's death and I was just starting to begin speaking to people again. I loved Cedric — not in a romantic way, but as a dear friend. At times it felt like he was the one of the only people who had truly cared about me.

"The end," Dumbledore says, looking around us all, "of another year." He pauses and his eyes fall upon the Hufflepuff table, who are extremely subdued and pale. My heart pangs — as they're usually the loudest and most cheerful group of them all.

"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight. But I first just acknowledge the loss of a very fine person who should be sitting here, enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

We do it, all of us. The benches scrape as everyone in the Hall stands. Everyone says, in a loud, rumbling echoey voice, "Cedric Diggory."

I catch a glimpse of Cho Chang at the Ravenclaw table. There are tears pouring silently down her face. Cho not only lost a dear friend, but a boyfriend.

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house. He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about. . .

Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

A panicked whisper spreads through the Great Hall. Harry had informed me about what had happened the day after, which only further upset me. If only I would have warned Cedric about the tea cup prediction I had that day in Divination. I could have prevented him from dying. It should have been me instead of him.

"The Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore continues, "does not wish for me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified I have done so. The truth is generally preferable to lies, however. Any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident is an insult to his memory."

"The Dark Lord can't be back!" Draco whispers furiously to Crabbe and Goyle. "It's impossible."

"Shut up, Malfoy," I hiss. This is the first time I've spoken to him since the day of Cedric's death, when he brought me to the Slytherin common room. "Dumbledore is speaking the truth and you know it."

Dumbledore continues to speak. "Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort. He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honor him."

He turns gravely to Harry and raises his goblet once more. Nearly everyone in the Great Hall follows suit, except for the Slytherins, who sit defiantly in their seats. I, however, stand solo and raise my goblet to commemorate Harry's fierce bravery.

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open," Dumbledore says proudly.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."

******

My trunk is packed, with Willow in her cage on top of the trunk. I was waiting with the Slytherin fourth years for the carriages that would take us back to Hogsmeade station. It is a beautiful Summer day. I assume that Malfoy Manor would be hot and leafy.