Chapter Ten

The hall is silent for a few more moments before forced applause. The Slytherin table claps loudly, minus Draco. The Hufflepuffs clap as well in order to be polite, but Gryffindor and Ravenclaw remain silent. I even notice that Harry, Hermione, and Ron aren't clapping for me, which hurts a little.

I set the hat down and stalk towards the Slytherin table. The only available seat is next to a pug faced girl with brown hair. She doesn't say a word to me but sends a snobby look in my direction.

Immediately after I sit down, loads of food pop up in front of me. There's an assortment of dinner foods, baked goods, candies and more. After seeing the other Slytherin help themselves to food, I do so as well.

"So, Amelia is it?" A girl asks me from across the table. She has blonde hair that is a few shades darker than Draco's and stormy green eyes.

"That's me, nice to meet you," I say kindly.

She raises an eyebrow at me. "I'm Daphne Greengrass. If you're American why do you go to Hogwarts?" She asks me skeptically.

"Parents moved here," I tell her simply, not wanting to tell the Slytherin girls that I've been living with Draco Malfoy. Who knows if he's dating one of them and they turn out to be all jealous.

"Are you a pureblood?" The girl next to me asks.

"Pansy! You can't just ask somebody that!" Daphne scolds from across the table to the pug faced girl. She turns to me. "Sorry about her. So are you a pureblood?" She asks me.

My cheeks burn from embarrassment. "Yes," I respond dully. "Why should that matter?"

"It doesn't matter," Another girl next to Daphne says. "Some Slytherin girls just tend to be stuck up," She adds, glaring directly at Pansy. "I'm Blair Anderson," She introduces herself to me.

I smile. She seems nice. "Amelia."

Pansy pipes up. "Is it true you're living with Draco Malfoy?" She asks me. Her statement causes me, Daphne, Blair, and a pudgy girl next to Pansy to look at her with wide eyes.

"Er— yeah, our parents are friends. How did you know?" I ask her curiously.

Pansy smiles at me directly. "Draco and I are very good friends, he was telling me about how painful it was to live with you on the train ride here."

Daphne interrupts. "Really? What was he saying?"

"Oh just the usual, that she was a blood traitor and stuff-" Pansy says nonchalantly. Her and the pudgy girl gasp, hanging onto Pansy's every word.

"Just ignore them," Blair whispers to me. "They're such airheads that they'll probably forget about it in a week," She says comforting me.

My hopeful eyes meet Blair's. She gives me a nod but doesn't smile at me, but for some reason it's reassuring enough.

"So!" Headmaster Dumbledore piped up, standing up from the Professor's table. "Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices."

Daphne groans. "He does this every year and it's always so boring- Millicent! Wake up!" She says, nudging the pudgy girl next to Pansy.

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty- seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it."

The corners of Dumbledore's mouth twitched before he continued, "As ever, I would like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out-of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogs- meade to all below third year.

It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year." He pauses, as if knowing the students' reactions.

The Gryffindor table explodes in anger. The Slytherins, while being quieter, express their displeasure as well. "That's rubbish!" A Slytherin boy with jet black hair and pale skin states angrily.

Dumbledore clears his throat. "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy— but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts —"

Dumbledore is cut off by a loud rumble towards the entrance of the Great Hall. A man stands in the doorway, armed with a large staff. He strides up to the professor's table without a care in the world, ignoring the appalled gaze of the students.

Every inch of his face seems to be scarred. But it was his eyes that made me frightened. One was small, dark and beady while the other was large and round in electric blue. He stalks up to Dumbledore and shakes his hand.

Dumbledore hesitates. "May I introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher? Professor Moody," He states.

Whispers flood the Great Hall and I overhear the words "Mad Eye Moody."

The Headmaster clears his throat again. "As I was saying, we are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're JOKING!" Fred Weasley cries loudly, causing a string of laughter amongst the Gryffindors.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley," Dumbledore says before mentioning a joke he has learned over the Summer. He is interrupted by one of the female professors, who clears her throat.

"Where was I?" He asks awkwardly. "Ah yes, the Triwizard Tournament... well some of you will not know what this tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation, and allow their attention to wander freely," He says smoothly.

The Slytherins erupt in quiet conversation while Dumbledore explains the origins and standards of the events. I try hard to hear his words, but it is drowned out by the voices of Slytherin students.

"Perhaps I will enroll in this tournament," Draco boasts, puffing out his chest. The Slytherin boys look at him in awe while the girls swoon and nearly fall out of their seats. Blair and I exchange a worried glance at each other.

"Are you even listening to Dumbledore?" I snap at Draco. "He said students have to be seventeen."

Draco rolls his eyes at me. "What a shame," He deadpans. Realization dawns upon me. Draco was only saying that to impress his classmates, he wasn't planning on actually entering.