Chapter Forty Nine

"Sirius Black is alive?!" A cold voice screams. "You fool! How could you have let this gone past us?"

"Your Lord, I —" Wormtail begins.

"I am THIS close to terminating your entire existence!" The voice hollers.

"I'm so terribly sorry —"

"Wormtail, I'm giving you one chance of redemption so listen closely. I need you to retrieve the girl from Hogwarts. Not now, it is much too soon. But when I give you the command, you have to do it," The voice says seriously.

"The girl? My Lord, who are we speaking of?"

"The one being held at the Malfoys. You mustn't say a word of this to anyone. Even Lucius isn't aware of the power she holds. Are we clear?"

Wormtail gulps. "Yes, My Lord."

"Get out of my sight."

I jolt awake, sweat dripping down my forehead. My eyes trail to the sleeping girls in my dormitory, unaware of the scarily realistic dream I had just experienced. Hastily, I ready myself and try to forget the horrific nightmare I had had.

I head to the Great Hall only to see Harry, Ron, and Hermione hovered over a newspaper article. It is no doubt The Daily Prophet.

"More Harry slander?" I ask, rolling my eyes and sitting down. "What did Skeeter write this time?"

"It's not about me this time. See for yourself," Harry says, pushing it over to me so that I can read.

Ministry Seeks Educational Reform
Dolores Umbridge Appointed First Ever
"High Inquisitor"

"High Inquisitor?" I ask Harry, Ron, and Hermione darkly. "What does that even mean?"

The Daily Prophet was open to a large picture of a smiling Professor Umbridge. Underneath the picture, is a lengthy article about her new position as High Inquisitor. The article, to no surprise, was a bunch of rubbish about Hogwarts.

"It says she's going to be inspecting lessons!" Hermione exclaims in a hushed tone.

"You lot had an inspected lesson yet?" Fred asks, taking the empty seat next to me.

"No," Ron says. "Have you?"

"Yesterday. Charms," George says, stealing a bite of toast off of Ron's plate. Ron quickly slaps George's hand away from him and sends him a glare.

"What was it like?" Harry and I ask together.

Fred shrugs. "It isn't that bad. Umbridge just lurked in the corner making notes on a clipboard. You know what Flitwick's like, he treated her like a guest, didn't seem to bother him at all. She didn't say much. Asked Alicia a couple of questions about what classes are like, Alicia told her they were really good, that was it."

George turns to Harry. "Be a good boy and keep your temper with Umbridge today. Angelina'll do her but if you miss any more Quidditch practices."

Harry has been missing some of his Quidditch practices because he's always been held up in detention with Professor Umbridge. Ron and Hermione are still somehow unaware of Harry's marks, and Harry has sworn me to secrecy.

The four of us have double Divination first thing today. I've started to sit with them instead of the Slytherins, much to their displeasure.

"Good afternoon, Professor Trelawney," Professor Umbridge says sauntering into the classroom. "You've received my note, I trust? Giving the time and date of your inspection?"

Professor Trelawney gives Umbridge a curt nod before clearing her throat. "We shall be continuing our study of prophetic dreams today," She says. "Divide into pairs, please, and interpret each other's nighttime visions with the aid of the Oracle."

Ron and Hermione partner up, leaving me and Harry to work together. I've never told Harry about either of my two visions of Voldemort and Wormtail — I know he has pain in his scar, I wonder if the two events could be related.

"Harry," I whisper urgently. "About your visions —"

"Hem, hem," Professor Umbridge says clearing her throat and causing an array of students to look at her. "Amelia Grey, is it? Aren't you in Slytherin?"

All eyes turn to me. "Er — yes," I mumble awkwardly, avoiding eye contact with her.

"Shouldn't you be sitting with your house?"

Awkwardly, I collect my belongings and rejoin the smirking Slytherins. The only seat is next to Draco Malfoy, to my wonderful luck.

"So nice of you to join us, Amelia," Draco whispers triumphantly. His voice is so quiet that I am the only one who can hear it. "Let's see this dream journal of yours," Draco sneers.

My mind quickly trails back to my dream of last night. "Draco! No, I —"

It's too late. He has already snatched my journal and has begun to read its contents.

His face pales. "Is this true?" He asks quietly.

"No, it was just a dream."

Draco hesitates for a second. "Did the Dark Lord mention anything about me? Er — in your dream?"

I gape at him. So that's why he's pretending to care.

I snatch the book away from him. "Well since you're so worried about yourself, no, you weren't mentioned. Besides, it was just a dream, why do you even care?"

"I don't care," Draco huffs unconvincingly.

******

Defense Against the Dark Arts is painful to say the least. Harry earns himself another detention, as per usual. And even Hermione has managed to get points taken away from Gryffindor. I am too stunned by Umbridge's actions to even retaliate at her sayings.

"Amelia!" Harry says, running up to me just minutes before his detention. "I've told Ron and Hermione. Well - they've sort of figured it out, but still."

I raise my eyebrows. "And they're still letting you go to detention with that madwoman? Harry, I'm worried about you," I tell him honestly.

Harry shakes his head. "It's just a few scratches."

"Mr. Potter, I'm waiting. Maybe if you weren't so busy flirting with Miss. Grey over here you'd have realize that your detention was supposed to start two minutes ago," Professor Umbridge calls whilst standing in the doorway of her classroom. "Unless you'd like to join him in detention as well, we have plenty of room?"

I glare at the woman in front of me. "No thanks, I'm not really in the mood to have my hand sliced up tonight," I retaliate angrily.

Umbridge gasps and Harry looks at me with an amused expression. I quickly turn on my heel and exit the room before she can say anything else to me.

-
I hate Umbridge will all of me, poor Harry

Let me know how you feel about Draco and Amelia! I've never written a book so am I moving too quickly/slowly?

Thanks for 6k reads !