Chapter Forty Three

The next few weeks at Grayson's passes by uneventfully. My heart is bursting from Francesca's letter and the fact that she's potentially alive, but I can't ignore the fact that Voldemort is my former Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor. Now that I think about it, it is suspicious that he was so into teaching us the Dark Arts.

After spending a few weeks with Grayson, I began to fall terribly ill. At first it was just a small headache, but as the days progressed, I grew a fever and chills.

"Do you think we should contact your parents?" Ann asks me, taking my temperature with a muggle thermometer. I know a charm that can easily alert you if you're sick, but I'm much too weak to perform magic in my state.

"If we have to," I say, groaning.

"Will you be alright to write a letter?" Grayson asks me tentatively. "You look worse and worse everyday," He tells me worriedly.

"Gee, thanks," I mutter sarcastically.

"Er — not like that," He adds.

I take out a piece of parchment and a quill and write a short letter:

Mum and Dad,

I've recently fallen ill this week and my condition is continuing to deprecate. I am leaving it up to your judgment whether or not I should return to England.

Amelia x

"Grayson, could you have Willow send this out for me please?" I ask, handing him my sealed letter. Grayson hums in response whilst taking my letter and exiting the room.

"Is Amelia okay?" Gianna asks, crawling into her mother's lap and looking at me with wide doe eyes.

"I'm sure it's just a little cold," I assure Gianna with a smile. "I'll be better in no time."

******

Three days later, my condition continued to worsen. My parents had finally bothered to write back and what they sent me was brief and cold.

Amelia,

Return home. I've attached some floo powder to the envelope. I'll take you to St. Mungo's.

Mum

"I feel awful leaving you already," I tell Grayson guilty, once I read the letter. "This is so odd, I never get sick," I tell him awkwardly.

"Amelia, your health is much more important than visiting me. Besides, maybe I can visit you for Christmas if my mom says yes," Grayson tells me, sending a hopeful look at his mother.

"We'll talk about it later," Ann says sternly. "And your semester at Hogwarts is starting soon anyway, you'll just be leaving a week early anyways. The girls have packed your trunk for you, Amelia, you should be good to go whenever you're up to it."

I play with the floo powder in my hands. "Thank you so much for allowing me to stay —"

Ann waves her hand. "You're family now," She tells me happily. "You're more than welcome to visit whenever you'd like."

Wobbly, I stand up from the bed and release the floo
powder from my hands and onto the ground.

******

Falling down the chimney of Malfoy Manor was nowhere near elegant or classy. My mother was waiting for me at the chimney, her nose promiscuously stuck in copy of The Daily Prophet.

"Amelia! Oh you look absolutely awful!" My mother says, kneeling down and grabbing my arm so that I'm now standing upright.