Chapter Thirty Nine

The evening before the third and final task, Cedric leaves me a note at dinner to meet him in the library at eight that evening. Still reluctant since last time I've seen him he snogged me, I carefully make my way up to the library, which is empty.

"I have a bad feeling about tomorrow," Cedric blurts immediately, rubbing his forehead.

"Er — why?" I ask him. "You're in first place, surely you'll win," I assure him with a smile.

"No, it's not that," He tells me. "I feel like something horrible is going to happen. It's just my gut, maybe I'm going crazy, I know but —"

My mind immediately goes to my Divination class when we had done the tea leaves. My thoughts of Cedric had lead the tea to produce a black cloud, which Trelawney had told me it was a death cloud. Could that be about tomorrow?

No, Trelawney is insane. It couldn't be.

"Cedric, don't stress yourself out. The maze should be the easiest task. You've already defeated a dragon and saved me from being tied up underwater. You can do anything," I tell him shakily.

Cedric nods. "Perhaps I'm just overthinking, right?"

I nod, biting my lip, unsure of what to say next.

"I'm sorry for kissing you the other day," He says unexpectedly. "I just wanted to know what it would have felt like — before I got too serious with Cho, and —"

I hold up a hand. "I'm going to stop you there before you sound like a total arse," I say, laughing.

Truth be told, I enjoyed the brief kiss I had with Cedric. My dreams of a handsome, seventh year liking a small fourth year had come true. But he still has Cho, and no matter how much I dislike the girl, they are both truly into each other.

"Thank you," He says. "I ought to be going, but — would you like to spend the Summer with me? My family is taking me to Romania, and he said I can bring a friend," He adds.

I raise an eyebrow. "You don't want to bring Cho?"

Cedric shakes his head. "You truly are one of my best friends, Amelia. Let's just forget the kiss and move forward. Will you go to Romania with me this Summer?" He asks me. "My father is taking me to see the dragons. It's a bit ironic, don't you think?"

"Cedric, I —" I start, thinking of my plans to visit Grayson and Francesca in America.

"Just think about it. I ought to go and get some rest for tomorrow anyway," He tells me.

Before he leaves, I throw my arms around him and embrace him tightly. We stay in that position for a good three minutes before I finally pull away.

"Good luck tomorrow," I tell him quietly.

******

I sat with the Slytherins the following night for dinner, who were all talking wildly about the upcoming task tonight. The champions had disappeared to spend time with their families, even Harry had Mrs. Weasley and Bill come to cheer him on.

"Ladies and gentlemen, in five minutes' time, I will be asking you to make your way down to the Quidditch field for the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr. Bagman down to the stadium now."

After the champions exit the Great Hall, I walk with the Slytherins down to the Quidditch pitch.

"I think Diggory will win," Pansy says confidently. "Him and Potter are both tied for first and we all know that Diggory is better than Potter."

The rest of the Slytherin fourth years murmur in agreement as we sit down towards the back of the stands, so that we have the widest view of the pitch.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand! Tied in first place, with eighty five points each — Mr. Cedric Diggory and Mr. Harry Potter, both of Hogwarts School! In second place, with eighty points — Mr. Viktor Krum of Durmstrang Institute! And in third place — Miss Fleur Delacour, of Beauxbatons Academy!" Bagman announces happily.

"So . . . on my whistle, Harry and Cedric! Three — two — one —" His whistle blasts. Cedric gives me a short wave before dashing into the maze.

"He so fancies you," Daphne whispers to me.

I watch the pair disappear into the maze, with Krum seconds behind them and Fleur running in seconds after Krum.

After what feels like hours, Harry and Cedric fall flat to the ground, both of them holding the Triwizard Cup. But whilst Harry reacts to the slam, Cedric remains eerily still. The crowd roars happily, thinking that Hogwarts has had two victors. I, however, know all too well what has happened.

"He can't be . . . Cedric!" I cry, standing up from the Slytherin section and racing down the stands, onto the Quidditch pitch.

No one seems to notice my entrance to the pitch, as the stands are roaring and all attention is focused on Harry and Dumbledore.

"Cedric!" I cry, kneeling over his body. His eyes are open and unmoving. I rest my head on his chest for a heartbeat, but only a slight heartbeat occurs.

"Cedric . . .," I say, tears falling down my face. "You can't be gone yet. We have to go to Romania. We have to see the dragons!" I sob even harder.

"Amelia. . . I'm sorry I didn't win for you," He says weakly, grasping my hands with his. "I love —"

And with that, his eyes roll into the back of his head. His body remains lifeless.

Cedric Diggory is dead.

"You're only seventeen. You have so much more time! You have to come back!"

I feel fingers prying me off of his body and enclose me in their arms. I don't even bother to turn and look at how it is. I didn't realize how much I've been shaking and crying in just a short time period.

I weakly let them wrap their arms

"Come on, Amelia, let's just go back to the common room, and you can let it all out there . . ."

Through the pain of it all, I didn't even realize that it was indeed Draco Malfoy bringing me back to the Slytherin common room.

Rip Cedric :(  idk what else to say sorry it had to be done