Chapter Twenty Nine

The morning of Christmas was beautiful to say the least. Snow was sprinkled atop the campus for miles. I sit calmly on my bed in the dormitory, while Blair, Pansy, Daphne and Millicent still slept. The dress I had received last night hung in my closet. I still haven't told anyone about it.

"Merry Christmas!" Daphne says, noticing I'm awake and sitting up from her bed as well. The three other girls slowly rise from their slumber, rubbing their eyes and stretching.

Just then, our owls come flying in. Willow comes over to me, nearly weighed down by the presents I've received. The other girls giggle as they retrieve their owls, who are also carrying a large load of gifts.

From Cedric, I receive a beautiful flower crown. Ron gave me some candies. Hermione got me a book on the history of Quidditch. Harry bought me a fancy quill with a feather on top. Daphne and Millicent bought me some eyeshadows, Blair bought me a book, and Pansy got me nothing. Fred and George gave me some Canary Beans, which made me laugh.

Even Draco had gotten me something, which I assume his parents had forced him to get — a beautiful pair of diamond earrings.

I invited Hermione to prepare for the ball with me and the other Slytherin girls, which she declined and said she already made arrangements to prepare with Ginny, who was attending with Neville.

"Please let me do your makeup!" Daphne whines at around five o'clock in the evening. The ball doesn't begin until eight, but she insists on getting ready early.

Begrudgingly, I allow her to do my makeup. I'm not sure exactly what she did to my face, but my eyelashes are darker, my lips are glossy, and my eyelids are glittery. I have to admit — Daphne did a phenomenal job, I look so different.

Pansy, Daphne, Blair, Millicent and I all do each other's hair. Pansy straightens her curly hair, Daphne does a fancy updo, Blair braids the top half of her hair, Millicent puts her hair in a tight bun, and I wear my hair curled in a waterfall hairstyle.

Then it's time for our dresses — Pansy wears a dark green tight dress, Daphne wears a white wedding-like dress, Blair wears a loose red dress, and Millicent wears a lacy black dress. I help the girls put on their large dresses and once they are finished I take out mine.

"Oh, Merlin!" Millicent exclaims. "Your dress is stunning," She tells me in awe.

"That looks as if it could have costed thousands of Galleons — are those real diamonds?" Daphne coos, running her fingers over the material.

I avoid their questions, too scared to tell them I received the dress from a random person who knows my identity. Who has enough money to send me items like this? And why would they want me to avoid Draco?

The five of us exit the dormitory and head to the ballroom. We're quite late — the ball started around twenty minutes ago. Pansy tells us that we're supposed to be fashionably late, as that it makes us look more desirable and attractive. I tell her that she's full of shit.

Pansy walks over to Draco immediately, smoldering him in a hug. Draco — and the rest of Slytherin's — eyes transfix on me, however, as I drift towards them in my beautiful blue ball gown.

"Wow, Amelia, you look breathtaking," Miles greets, holding out his arm for me to grab. I latch onto his arm and we sit down at the table, next to Draco and Pansy.

The walls of the hall have been decorated in sparkling silver frost, with hundreds of garlands of mistletoe and ivy crossing the starry black ceiling. The House tables have vanished and in its place were about a hundred smaller ones, each seating about a dozen people.

"I'm going to say hello to Harry, Ron, and Hermione," I tell the table. None of them respond and they instead give me dirty looks for 'interacting with the enemy.'

"Hermione! You look stunning!" I exclaim.

Hermione was dressed in a lavender dress that fit her somewhat tightly. Her normally puffy and frizzy hair was sleekly tied up in an updo. She stands with Krum while Harry and Ron stay with the Patil twins.

"And Amelia, you look just like Cinderella!" Hermione announces, her eyes wide.

"Er — who?" I ask.

She chuckles. "Nevermind. You truly look amazing," She tells me. Harry and Ron haven't said a word to either of us, and I'm sure they are both entranced by our lovely dresses that we have on.

Professor McGonagall steals Harry and Krum away from us, along with their dates, leaving just Ron, Padma, and me left awkwardly.

"I best return to the Slytherins," I say, excusing myself. Ron gives me a dirty look, mentally chastising me for leaving him alone with Padma.

The champions and their dates begin dancing. Cedric and Cho certainly are the best dancers out of everyone though. Harry keeps tripping over his own two feet, Krum leads Hermione much too quickly, and Fleur struggles with the movement. I wish I could hate Cho for being Cedric's date, but I truly cannot. She looks amazing and she hasn't done anything wrong to me. They look so happy together.

"C'mon, let's dance!" Miles says, grabbing my hand and pulling me onto the dance floor.

Draco grabs Pansy roughly and drags her onto the dance floor as well, dancing just a few feet away from Miles and I.

"Do you two want butterbeer?" Draco asks us. "I'm getting some for Pansy and I."

I eye Draco narrowly. He's always up to no good. "We'll pass," I say curtly, continuing to dance with Bletchley. He nods at Malfoy and saunters across the dance floor with me airily.

"So — Amelia, have you been preparing for the Quidditch scrimmage?" Bletchley asks me. That's all he seems to ever talk about, Quidditch.

"I don't think Ravenclaw is much competition," I tell him truthfully. "The only reputable player is Cho Chang and even Malfoy is better than her," I say whilst Bletchley spins me around and catches me in his chest. We continue to dance.

"Oh yes, but I —"

Splashes of liquid drip down my jaw and onto my dress. I look up to see the culprit, Draco Malfoy, with an empty glass of butterbeer in his hand. The entire front half of my dress is stained and sopping.

"Let me help fix —" Bletchley starts.

"No, it's fine, I can fix it myself. I don't want to take away time from your ball," I tell Miles, my voice quivering.

"It's because I didn't listen to Malfoy. This is my fault Amelia, I'm-"

I run out of the Great Hall, glaring at Draco angrily.

Hi!!

QOTC: Are you surprised at what happened? What are your thoughts?

Also are the chapters too long/short? Let me know. I try to have 1000-1500 words per chapter.