Chapter Fifty Seven

I don't tell anyone of my dream about Voldemort, Avery, and Rookwood. I decide that I can't associate with the Order of the Phoenix if they won't tell me anything. Instead, I'll remain neutral and fight for what I believe in.

"Hey, Grey!" Draco announces, sauntering into the common room with a triumphant smile on his face. "I have a special Prefect duty for us!"

"What's going on? I don't think I've ever seen you this excited," I tell him, my eyes wide.

Draco rolls his eyes. "Come on! We've got to go to Umbridge!" He tells me, gesturing for me to follow him. Out of sheer curiosity and slight responsibility, I slowly follow him out of the dungeons and to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

Umbridge clears her throat. "Mr. Malfoy . . . er — Miss Grey," She addresses the two of us formally. Pansy Parkinson, Millicent Bulstrode, Crabbe, and Goyle are all here as well.

"It seems that Mr. Potter and his friends have decided to disobey me and create a secret Defense Against the Dark Arts organization . . . Now, Miss Grey, I must ask. Did you happen to know about this?" She asks, her beady little eyes on me.

"Er — no," I tell her, half-lying. Although I did know about the group, I didn't know about the meetings, location, or name for that matter.

Professor Umbridge huffs. "I will reward twenty five points to Slytherin for every member of the organization you catch. Fifty points for Potter," She tells the four of us strictly.

I furrow my eyebrows. What was this? Some kind of game where we had to catch our fellow classmates?

"Follow me!" Draco calls.

He leads us up the stairs, to the Room of Requirement. I've heard of it but I've never made the effort to go up to the room.

"Draco, you know we can't —"

"Stop being so kind to everyone, Grey! He's the reason everyone in this bloody school is scared of us! His friend punched you! Your own friends left you out of this group in the first place!" Draco whisper-shouts. "I'm catching them whether you like it or not!"

"Look, there's Potter!" Pansy calls.

Draco takes out his wand and jinxes Harry, causing him to fall onto the floor and let out a moan.

"Trip jinx, Potter!" Draco sneers. "Hey, Professor! I've got Potter!" He calls loudly.

"Excellent, Draco, excellent! Oh very good! Fifty points to Slytherin! I'll take him from here . . . Stand up, Potter!" Umbridge says.

"Amelia?" Harry says, looking hurt.

"I'm sorry," I mouth to him.

"You hop along and see if you can find any more of them with Draco! Don't be shy to go into the boy's bathroom, I'm sure there's plenty of them in there!"

Obediently, I tuck my wand in my robes and follow behind Draco towards the boy's bathrooms. Pansy and Millicent have gone to the girl's bathrooms. Crabbe and Goyle have gone to the library.

Draco heads to the East bathrooms whilst I head to the West ones. I enter the bathroom awkwardly, feeling empty in the darkness.

"Lumos!"

"Amelia?" A familiar voice asks.

I lift my wand and shine it on Neville Longbottom. A bead of sweat has formed on the top of his shiny forehead. He's wringing his hands nervously and I can tell he's only just made it to the bathrooms.

"Er — Neville," I greet.

"Just take me to Professor Umbridge. I give up, I'm exhausted," He says, his voice tired.

"I'm not going to take you to Umbridge. You've got to get out of here, Neville. She's got Harry and it isn't long before she'll find you," I tell him urgently.

Neville smiles. "You aren't as bad as the Gryffindors say, Amelia. I owe you a big one. I'll do your Herbology homework for you!" He exclaims.

"Er — that's alright, you don't have to. Could you tell Harry, Ron, and Hermione that I'm sorry for coming out here and doing this? I had no idea Umbridge was planning all of this," I tell him regretfully.

"I know you wouldn't do this to us. I'm sure it was all Malfoy," Neville growls. "I best be going. Goodbye Amelia!"

"Goodbye Neville."

******

Educational Decree 28: Dolores Jane Umbridge (High Inquisitor) has replaced Albus Dumbledore as Head of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Rumors swirled throughout the entirety of the next day. The only person who knew the true reason for Dumbledore's sacking was Harry, and I wasn't friendly enough with him anymore to ask him.

The Slytherins had their own fun in making different theories. Whilst we all knew it most likely had something to do with Harry's secret organization, the Slytherin table at breakfast had much more interest in coming up with the craziest theories.

"Perhaps Dumbledore had an affair with Professor McGonagall and Umbridge got jealous," Millicent jokes, taking a swig of pumpkin juice.

I cringe at the thought of Professor Dumbledore doing anything sexual. "Absolutely not!" I deny. "He obviously told Umbridge that she was wearing too much pink and she got offended," I joke, causing a roar of laughter from the Slytherins.

"This isn't funny!" Ernie Macmillan shouts at us from the Hufflepuff table. Obviously he has no idea what we are talking about, but laughing minutes after finding out about Dumbledore's termination isn't exactly giving us the best reputation in the Great Hall right now.

"Look at us one more time, Macmillan, and I'll jinx you!" Zabini shouts back, taking out his wand and holding menacingly towards Ernie before I can even react.

The rest of the Slytherins continue to laugh and joke, but I quiet down, feeling self conscious that students in other houses will think I'm evil for joking about why Dumbledore had gotten fired.

"You know, you should really consider joining the Inquisitorial Squad," Draco tells me, taking a bite out of a green apple. "Even Professor Umbridge said she'd be willing to forgive you for your little stunt earlier in the year if you helped us out."

I shake my head. "I'm too busy for that," I lie.

As I walk to Herbology, I manage to bump into the twins. I'm pleasantly surprised when they don't run away from me and opt to chat with me for a bit.

"Oi, Grey! You seem to have forgotten us," George says, smiling at me and winking.

"You're not part of that Inquisitorial Squad are you?" Fred asks, wrinkling his nose.

"Of course not," I assure the twins. "Why? Have they been giving you a hard time?"

George chuckles. "Yeah, Montague tried to do us during break," He tells me.

"Tried. . . ?"

"He never managed to get all the words out," Fred says. "due to the fact that we forced him headfirst into that Vanishing Cabinet on the first floor."

I can't help but release a giggle. "Why am I not surprised? Be careful, you two. Once he gets out you two could get into terrible trouble!"

"You see, Grey, we don't care about getting expelled. We are only still here to serve Dumbledore. Of course, you're still too much of an ickle fifth year to understand. Phase one is about to begin," Fred tells me urgently. "I'd be in the Great Hall for lunch today if I were you. That way the teachers will see you can't have had anything to do with it."

"Anything to do with what?"

"You'll see. Run along now," George says.

The two of them turn away and disappear into the swelling crowd, leaving me to wonder what exactly they are planning.

Hi!! I'm very happy Amelia is still friends with the twins :)