Chapter Twenty Eight

Snow was falling heavily outside the window of Hogwarts, casting an even more magical sensation upon the building. The students still managed to talk about the Yule ball every waking second, which only stressed me out more. Even Harry and Ron, who were struggling immensely to get dates, secured an arrangement with the Patil twins.

I was walking with Harry, Ron, and Hermione into the entrance hall. Ron kept pestering Hermione about whom she was going with — Hermione was attending with Viktor Krum, but made me promise not to tell anyone. I don't see the whole purpose of keeping her date hidden since we will all find out anyway.

"Hermione — who are you going to the ball with?" Ron asks for her for the nth time, hoping to catch her off guard. Hermione, however, is much to clever to fall for Ron's tricks.

"I'm not telling you, you'll make fun of me," Hermione says whilst frowning. I've tried to assure her multiple times that if anything Ron would be impressed and jealous but she doesn't think so.

"You're joking, Weasley!" Draco's voice cuts through the room. "You're not telling me someone's asked that to the ball? Not the long-molared Mudblood?"

"Shut up, Malfoy, before I punch you again —"

"Hello Professor Moody!" Hermione calls. Draco jumps back in surprise, looking around wildly for Moody. "Twitchy little ferret aren't you, Malfoy?" Hermione asks scathingly.

Draco huffs and leaves us alone, leaving me with the Gryffindor trio. Ron turns to me, impressed. "You punched Malfoy? How? I've been waiting for a chance to punch that git for ages," He tells me.

I smile mischievously. "You lift your fist up like this, and, pow!" I say, lifting up my fist and imitating the way that I punched Malfoy in the face.

"Er — Amelia, can I talk to you for a second?" Bletchley says, approaching me and tapping me on the shoulder. I nod, saying my goodbyes to the trio.

"Sure, what's up?" I ask Miles, assuming that he needs to talk to me about Quidditch.

"I was wonder, well, if you would like to possibly go to the Yule ball with me?" He asks, his eyes averting nervously in all different directions.

That was not what I was expecting. I'm not really friendly with Miles, we've only talked a handful of times and it's always been about Quidditch. "Er — yes, that would be wonderful. Thank you."

Bletchley's face contorts into a relieved smile. "I'll see you on Christmas, then," He says happily.

******

After lessons that day, Professor McGonagall announces that she would be hosting ballroom dancing lessons for attendees tonight at six. All the girls were particularly excited about this, while the boys were not nearly as thrilled.

"The Yule Ball," McGonagall begins. "Has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its origin. I will not have any of you besmirching the reputation of Hogwarts by behaving like a band of bumbling baboons! Mr. Weasley, will you join me please?" She asks, gesturing to Ron and holding out her arm.

Ron, who had been whispering something to Harry and Neville, looks up at her with a surprised look. He  stands up, and follows her to the center of the room.

"Now, place your right hand on my waist," She instructs. Ron looks at Harry immediately, who is currently stifling his laughter. Fred and George whistle as Ron puts a hand on her waist.

"Filch, as you please," McGonagall calls. Filch turns on a record player, which begins playing upbeat ballroom music.

"One, two, three..." She begins to count, waltzing around the room with a petrified Ron.

"Everyone find a partner and stand!" She calls over Ron's shoulder, making no effort to give up dancing.

Fred Weasley stands in front of me. "May I have this dance?" He asks me politely, extending a hand to me. I bite my lip and take his hand, where he swiftly pulls me up and catches me with an arm around his waist.

The two of us begin to mimic McGonagall's and Ron's steps, allowing us to smoothly dance across the floor. Pansy and Draco, Blaise and Daphne, Blair and George, and Neville and Hermione all pair up. Cedric and Cho dance together, earning Harry and I to give them a dirty look for a few seconds.

"Oi, Grey," Fred begins. "Who are you taking to the Yule Ball? My bets on Malfoy," He teases.

I roll my eyes. "I might as well be taking Malfoy. I'm going with Miles Bletchley," I confess.

Fred gapes. "Bletchley? Are you serious?"

I nod. "Quite. And what lucky girl is your date?" I ask him curiously.

Fred smirks at me. "Now why would I take one girl when I can get the attention from plenty of girls the entire night?" He jokes. "I'm just teasing, I'm taking Angelina Johnson," He tells me.

Angelina Johnson is a friendly Gryffindor girl in Fred and George's year. I only know of her because the Slytherins on the Quidditch team tell me that she is quite good at Quidditch. They'll never admit it though, they will always just say she cheats.

Hermione and Neville come sauntering by. "Hello!" Neville calls cheerily, a lopsided smile etched upon his friendly face.

We nod at the pair. "Amelia, have you gotten your dress yet?" Hermione asks me curiously.

Shit. I don't have a dress.

"Er — no," I say awkwardly.

Hermione frowns slightly. "Perhaps you can go into Hogsmeade this evening and purchase one? You can't go to the Yule ball without a dress," She says.

"Alright, you're dismissed! I will see you all tomorrow evening. Have a wonderful Christmas," McGonagall calls. Fred and I disconnect from each other and exit the classroom giggling.

Willow, my owl, comes flying in with a large parcel. She nearly hits three students as she drops the heavy package in my arms. Along with the package, there is a small piece of paper attached to it.

I wait until I arrive to my dormitory before opening the package. Firstly, I open the note:

Amelia,

Continue to distance yourself from Malfoy. You have been doing well and I am thoroughly pleased. With that, I have sent you a gift.

From, a dear friend

My eyes widen at the note and I turn to the large package in front of me. Carefully, I tear open the package to reveal its contents. I nearly gasp at what it holds. Inside the parcel, is a beautiful pale blue ball gown.

Hi!!

QOTC: How do you feel about Amelia and Bletchley attending the ball together?