69

"Hey, about the—"

"I'll see you tomorrow." He cut me off coldly. Before I could even lift my hands to stop him, Yeonjun had already closed his hotel door, slamming it hard in the process. The harsh sound made me jump back. The shock had me gaping at his door, wide-eyed. My mind still couldn't wrap the thought that he already left.

Just.... What the hell?

Ever since he took the call, the light in his eyes died down almost immediately, his face paling to a sickly color. He avoided meeting my eyes the whole ride back to the hotel. And the moment we reached the car park, he jumped up from his seat and practically ran to the elevator. His slightly trembling hands pushing the button repeatedly, actions hinting that he wanted to leave and end the day immediately.

I couldn't believe it. My mind has been screaming out every excuse it could muster just so it would hurt less. But every excuse it could think of makes me sink in deeper and deeper to the conclusion that the person who called him was Yeji.

Just the thought that he could drop everything, including me, just to get to her, made me want to cry my eyes out. It was pathetic but it really hurt.

It left me feeling cold, the gut-wrenching feeling has me holding on to the wall for support, not fully trusting my knees because those too were starting to shake. He even looked almost guilty. Like being with me was wrong and now he was suddenly brought to the reality of it all. That being with me is another heavy baggage he was forced to carry in the future.

Call me a pessimist but I'd rather assume the worst than to come up with reasons to make my delusional heart feel better. At least with this, I'm fully expecting the pain. I won't take any chances.

Not this time.

And now I was left alone, standing here in front of his door staring blankly, with my thoughts running wild, hoping he'll come back and tell me he was only joking. That it was only a prank. An awful one.

I stood there. Seconds turning to minutes and I didn't even notice my eyes watering from staring at the flat surface for far too long— unblinking. The sound of it slamming harshly on my face still ringing in my ears. I sighed.

"Good night then, Yeonjun-ah." I muttered, hoping he'll hear me before heading to my own room. My feet felt very heavy. The sound of my footsteps dragging against the carpet sounded so painfully familiar in my ears. A particular scene playing out inside of my head, causing me to start gripping my hands tightly into fists.

"How did it go?" Eunbi unnie asked the moment I entered. She placed the book she was reading on the side table, hands prodding me to sit on her bed. I paused, blinking. I can't just tell her it went bad because I honestly enjoyed my time together with Yeonjun. Well, only until his mood soured and decided to treat me like I didn't exist. So I settled for the safest answer, "Fine. It was good."

I ignored her invitation, pretending I didn't see her hand as I continued shrugging my coat off and dove straight to my own bed. Plopping on the soft mattress with a quiet groan.

I stayed in that position until I felt it was finally safe, carefully peeking on my side to see if unnie was sleeping. Her still form and steady breathing indicated that she was already deep into dream land, that's when I decided to stand up. Raking my hair before heading straight to the shower. I needed to clear my mind. And a nice hot bath can hopefully ease my mind and tense muscles.

————

I thought wrong. It was already 3:46 in the morning the last time I checked my phone. After I came out of the bathroom, my mind became fully energized despite the very long day I spent. My thoughts annoyingly went in obnoxious circles, it made me restlessly squirming in different poses on the bed, attempting to get the most comfortable position to get me to fall asleep.

20 cm || Choi Yeonjunजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें