Chapter 30: Pretty vs Handsome

After slapping him, she hugged him. He hugged her back, embracing her in his arms.

Gaara left the next day, making an alliance with them.

"We will provide help if needed with the Hidden Mist." Gaara said to Lady Tsunade. She nodded.

"Thank you Gaara." y/n said. He hugged her.

"I'm always here if you need it." he said with a smile. She smiled back as he left the village.

Y/n then went home, only to be disturbed by a knock on the door. Neji was standing there with flowers in his hands. His hair was neatly brushed and his clothing had not one wrinkle on it. He was not wearing his Leaf headband but instead bandages to cover his curse mark.

"Oh Neji." she said, a bit startled by his formal appearance.

"Y/n. I never got to properly apologize. I'm sorry. I truly am. I was ignorant and left you when you needed me the most. And I'm ashamed that I was too much of a coward to stand up to my uncle. I said horrible things to you. And I'll understand if you choose not to forgive me. But I love you y/n. A lot. So... Please accept my feelings!" he said holding out the flowers to the now flustered girl. She hesitated but then took them, staring at him in shock.

She was speechless. She loved him and wanted to forgive him. Without him everything seemed wrong and yet there he was standing before her. Y/n then leaped into his arms as he embraced her. Her face rested right below his shoulder.

"Despite being a genius, you're an idiot you know." she said. He let out a smile and held her tighter.

"Your hair smells good." y/n remarked.

"Want to use my shampoo?" he asked with a smirk. She simply giggled and moved out of his arms.

"So why are you dressed up so nice today?" the Uchiha girl asked.

"Well I wanted to take you out on a date. I was just really nervous and didn't know if you'd say yes." he said. She put the flowers in a vase.

"Wait here." She then ran upstairs to change out of her ninja clothes and put on a a nice outfit.

She wore this robe

She wore this robe. ^ Underneath it she wore a white skirt and shirt. The robe had been her mother's but she never thought there was an occasion to wear it. She fixed up her hair and went to where Neji was waiting.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. So where are we going?" she asked. He looked at her, his eyes not looking away. She was beautiful and his gaze was fixated on her. He looked as if he was starstruck.

"Hello? Neji?" she asked. She waved a hand in front of his face. He shook his head a bit and smiled.

"Sorry. But you look beautiful." he said. This caused her to blush immediately.

"Where are we going?" she asked again.

"Follow me. It's a surprise." he said. Y/n locked the house and held Neji's hand. He guided her around the village. Swerving left and right.

"Neji! Where are we going?" she whined.

"You're so impatient. Just follow me." me said and finally they reached their destination.

On the top of the Hokage's faces was a little picnic set up. There was a thick picnic blanket with two seating pillows. And in the middle was a plastic to-go bag. The blanket was big.

They both took seats upon the pillows. Neji reached inside the bag and took out two to-go bowls of ramen. The bag had Ichiraku on it, y/n beamed with excitement. He handed her the bowl and chopsticks.

"Wow!" y/n exclaimed.

"Do you like it?" Neji asked, slightly blushing.

She nodded her head with a smile.
"But why this time? It's a weird time to eat."

It was after lunch but just before dinner. The sun was getting ready to set, but wasn't exactly setting.

"I guess I couldn't wait until evening." Neji said.

They ate their ramen. Enjoying every last bit. They took their time eating in silence. Both of them had hated small talk and were comfortable with the silence. Y/n gazed out, looking onto the village. Observing every building and person. She noticed Sakura walking over to the Medical Center and Lee walking around the village on his hands. She noticed Shikamaru, Choji, Ino, and Asuma sensei heading over to eat barbecue. She noticed Hinata training with Kiba and Shino and noticed Tenten practicing with her scrolls. At the sight of her many friends she smiled. She smiled because she was happy to have so many friends in this village who acted for her. Y/n finished her ramen and put the plastic bowl in the bag. She then looked over to where the Uchiha territory used to be and gave a weak smile. Thoughts of Sasuke flooded her mind which caused a bit discomfort.

A hand made it's way on top of hers. She looked at the hand on top of hers. They were soft yet defined and a bit bigger than hers. She could see his veins through his fair skin. Looking up, her eyes were met by white lavenderish eyes. His stare set her at ease from the thoughts of Sasuke but also made her tense and her stomach fluttered with butterflies. Y/n quickly looked away, blushing intensely. Another hand was placed on her chin and turned her head to face him. Her eyes glistened.

"Do you feel comfortable around me, y/n?" Neji asked.

"W-well. I can never really tell what you're thinking. A-and I never know w-what to expect." y/n replied, blushing.

"Well I what I'm thinking right now is that I want you to feel comfortable around me." he said. She nodded her head, completely flustered.

Neji suddenly leaned in for a kiss and y/n leaned in as well. Their lips met. The kiss was short but felt as if time had stopped. It was filled with passion and love. They pulled away and then quickly looked the opposite direction of each other. Both of them were blushing profusely.

Their gaze then averted to the sun. The vibrant colors clashed in the sky. The sky was clear of clouds so that you could see the mix of colors battling each other. The sun gleamed, illuminating to village, giving it a pretty glow.

"You know, now whenever I see a sunset, I think of you." Neji remarked. Y/n looked over at him. He was still staring at the sunset, his long hair flowed in the wind. His jawline was defined like no other and the sun gave his skin a nice glow. Y/n let out a smile at this sight.

"You're so pretty." she said giggling. Neji looked over at her and blushed a bit, pouting.

"I'm supposed to be the one saying that. A man is supposed to be handsome." he replied.

"But you are." she continued. He looked away.

"Are you mad now?" she asked teasingly, leaning over to poke his cheek. He turned away some more.

"Hmph." was all he said.

"Oh come on. It was a compliment." y/n explained, poking his cheek some more. He still did not respond. So she leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek, causing his face to glow red.

"I think you're very handsome Neji." she said with a giggle. His face looked shocked and confused. He didn't know how to react which made y/n laugh some more.