Chapter 37: A Choice

Another week passed. Neji had made more earnest attempts to win y/n over. He'd leave little positive notes for her here and there. Or would try harder in training to impress her. Or even asked her out. Everyday was something new. One day, after a long training, Hinata and y/n decided to go to the hot springs to unwind. (this is different from the bathhouse)

They got there and slowly sank into the shallow water.

"Ah. This feels so much better." y/n let out a content sigh.

"Yeah. Y-you must be tired." Hinata remarked. She nodded.

"You too Hinata. You've been working on a new jutsu right? You must be exhausted."

"A-actually I'm a-almost done perfecting it. B-but I'm no where near you or N-neji." Hinata replied.

"Don't say that. You're amazing Hinata. You're such a good friend. I don't know what I'd do without you. I'm sure Naruto will see that soon."

Hinata smiled sheepishly while blushing lightly.

"How about you?" Hinata asked.

"What about me?"

"W-well. N-neji has been...mhm... well strange."

"And what does that have to do with me? We broke up remember."

"Well N-neji has been more e-enthusiastic. B-but in a un normal way. I think he might be going c-crazy. I can tell he's t-trying to stay h-happy but really I think he's just t-trying to keep himself distracted from the t-truth." Hinata explained.

"I don't know Hinata..." y/n responded.

"He's really trying y/n. I-it's kind of scary how much he's trying. He's never really had a goal in mind. I-it was always 'I'm gonna change the Hyuga' but w-when I s-see him trying so hard and for you I can't help but to want to h-help h-him."

"I'll a-admit... I .... I still l-like him." y/n said sinking into the water so that you could only see the very top of her head, to hide her blushing.

"Well I'm p-pretty... certain that he still likes you. So what's stopping you?" Hinata asked. Y/n submerged from the water.

"It's just Naruto is trying to hard to bring Sasuke back, he just learned a new jutsu just like that and defeated that Akatsuki member K-Kakuzu, I think. Even Sakura learned so much from Lady Tsunade. And you're working on a new jutsu. Gaara is the Kazekage and is dealing with so much. Shikamaru is helping out with battle plans. I just want to be useful. I still haven't completely figured out how to use my Mangekyou sharingan. I don't think a relationship is the best for me right now." y/n explained.

Suddenly they heard a few boy voices and footsteps on the other side of the hot spring.

"You should consider her feelings Neji." a voice that sounded like Choji said.

"Ugh this is such a drag. That's why I don't date." and yep that was Shikamaru.

"Oi but you spend a lot of time with Temari when she's here!" Naruto remarked.

"Shut up. It's for work. At least I'm not an idiot like you. You're so blind Naruto." Shikamaru said, referring to Hinata.

"Yeah!" Kiba added.

"I am NOT blind!" Naruto responded.

"Guys we're supposed to be helping Neji!" Lee stated.

"You dragged us here Lee. We really didn't need to do this." Neji replied.

"None-sense! It's a pain to see a friend in such a poor state!" Lee exclaimed.

"What do you mean poor state?" Neji asked offended.

"Lee's right you're kind of scaring us. You haven't been yourself." Shikamaru added.

Hinata and y/n were silently eavesdropping on their conversation.

The boys then got into the water on the other side of the divider.

"Yeah! Neji you've been day dreaming a lot! And sometimes you smile but you don't look happy! And you mutter to yourself a lot!" Naruto explained.

"I do NOT!" Neji said in his defense.

"Haha I knew it! You're going insane!" Kiba exclaimed.

"I AM NOT!" Neji yelled.

"Sure." Shikamaru said sarcastically.

"Just ask her out on a date. Take her to a restaurant. Give her some snacks." Choji suggested.

"I've tried." Neji whined. Him whining was rare.

"Try ignoring her. She'll miss the attention." Shikamaru suggested.

"I don't think she'd care. To be honest I think she'd be relieved if anything." Neji said.

"GIVE HER ICHIRAKU RAMEN!" Naruto exclaimed. They all looked at him as if he was stupid.

"Well if you've already done all you can how about taking a break?" Shino spoke.

"But..." Neji started.

"I have to agree with Shino with this one. She's not responding in any way so you should just let her go and give it some time." Shikamaru added.

"I agree." Kiba said.

"Maybe Shino's right. If snacks aren't working than I don't know what will." Choji remarked.

Lee and Naruto disagreed though and said that he should keep trying.

Y/n listened from the other side. Thoughts circling her mind. This isn't a bad thing right? I mean then I'll be less distracted. And I can focus more. And he'll focus more. And we'd work better as a team. It won't be so awkward anymore. Eh well maybe a little. But thats not the point! It's better for both of us... right? But why do I feel so...so... disappointed.

"Maybe Shino's right." Neji said gloomily.

"Just relax man." Kiba suggested.

The topic soon changed and the girls stopped eavesdropping.

"Are you okay with t-this?" Hinata asked her friend.

"Yeah. I mean it's not a bad thing. It's better for both of us." y/n chuckled slightly.

The next day Neji barely paid any attention to y/n. She would catch him glancing at her here and there but nothing more than that. He spared normally and didn't try to do anything too flashy. Tenten also noticed this but didn't want to say anything. Lee looked a bit sad about his friends decision to take a break from his other good friend.