Chapter 7: Away with the Mask

Saya had began showering Neji with compliments earning blushes from him here and there.

"I'm so hot." Saya said fanning herself. She pulled down her sleeves so her shoulders were showing. Neji glanced over at her and smirked a bit.

"Bitch don't you live in the desert?"  y/n muttered. Tenten looked over and raised an eyebrow at y/n.

"Are you sure you're okay. You rarely cuss." Tenten said whispering to y/n.

"I'm fine."

Saya suddenly tripped over her dress, but lucky for her Lee had caught her.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Ew let go of me you pervert!" she shrieked. Lee let go and simply looked down in defeat. The Uchiha girl was fed up with how the bratty princess treated her friend. She grabbed her shoulder.

"Hey! You should say thank you. Stop being so rude to him." the h/c haired Uchiha said.

"Well he should take a hint! He obviously likes me but it's obvious I'm not interested." Saya pushed y/n's hand off her shoulder and scoffed.

"No. Who would be interested in you? Lee is too nice of a person to tell you that, but me? I'm not too nice to people like you." y/n stared dead straight into Saya's brown eyes.

"As if you're any better. Neji is totally interested in me. Right Neji?" she said with a smirk. Neji looked down sheepishly.

"Well we just met and-"

"See he likes me." Saya said with a scoff.

Y/n started wheezing (kuroo's laugh).

"Neji if you like her then your taste must be as bland as your taste in food."

Saya pouted and then slapped y/n's cheek. It didn't sting one bit. Her slap was pathetic. Y/n didn't even dodge although she saw it coming. She pitied Saya and took the hit. Pity, what a disgusting thing. Suddenly it hit y/n. The realization that she was pitying Saya. Although she hated having people's pity she pitied Saya.
I'm such a hypocrite. The only way to stop pitying someone is to treat them how you would treat anyone else.

Y/n stood there for a second and then smirked. She drew her hand back and smacked the side of Saya's head. (I like your cut G! ahfcgjeiak im sorry ew i hate myself) Saya screamed with tears in her eyes. Tenten let out a little giggle and Lee cracked a smile. Neji tried to calm Saya down, but she resisted and tried to hit her again.

"You want another one?" y/n asked with a grin on her face and her eyebrows raised.

"Ugh! You're supposed to be protecting me!" she screamed in frustration.

"I hit you and I'd do it again. (bop bop okay ill stop now) I'll protect you because it's my mission, but I'm treating you the same. You don't deserve my pity." y/n said. Tenten gave her a high five and Lee mouthed 'thank you.'

"That was a uncalled for y/n." Neji said. Y/n was disappointed that Saya's compliments and cheeky attitude was gaining his favor.

"I don't need your opinion. I can handle myself. Which is what I've been doing for the past 6 years."

"This isn't like you." Neji said in concern.

"Well then you don't know me. I'm done hiding my pain and wearing a mask." y/n snapped. Neji frowned then caught back up to Saya.

"You okay?" Tenten asked as she swung her arm around her bestie.

"Never felt better." the Uchiha in her was starting to show. Y/n had always been the kind of person to keep to herself. She hardly voiced her opinions because her pain was too deep. No one could cure her. Not Tenten. Not Hinata. Not Neji. Not Sasuke. No one! She bottled her pain, her agony inside. She put a brave face on for Sasuke and for the sake of her friends. The mask had started to suffocate her. She would gasp for air but it didn't help. Secretly, she was thankful to Saya for breaking the mask. She no longer needed to keep up the innocent wimpy facade she held for 6 years.

"We'll stop here for the night!" Guy sensei exclaimed. They were 1/3 of the way to the Hidden Village of the Sand. Almost at the border of the Land of Fire.

They set up a camp, as the sun began to set.